WoodChuck Hunting

I just got back from a little woodchuck hunting in plainville... Saw one sunning himself on a long branch, but it was a dangerous shot, so I didnt take him. Using my .218 bee, a great little caliber. any tips on where to look for more in the baldwinsville area?

Woodchucks are an 'unprotected' species in NY. This is a quote from the DECs web site:

In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife are protected. Most species, including endangered species, songbirds, hawks and owls are fully protected and may not be taken. The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm.

This allows us real hardcore guys to have an excuse to hunt any time of the year. And yes woodchuck, when prepared properly, can be very tasty.

• 1 month later...

The dairy farming has completely disappeared in my area and most of the pastures are turning to brush-lots. The other thing I've noticed when you go up into the flatlands is that a lot of farmers don't pasture their cows anymore. The whole darn operation takes place inside the barns. All of their old pastures are full of grain crops. No woodchucks there. So the only woodchuck that I have seen recently was down in my driveway and he was just running from a thicket on oneside of the driveway to the thicket on the other side. Not likely to ever get him. So I guess if I'm ever going to do any woodchuck hunting, there's going to be some serious travel involved. :)

Doc

I shot woodchucks for a farmer in Lincoln . I pretty much cleaned them out . He wanted me to shoot the foxes and I suggested since he didn't have any chickens to leave the fox alone as they would also help with the chuck population . They gave me potatoes and Maple Syrup . I tried to refuse but it was like an insult to them as they were losing a lot in crop damage .