Violence

WingNut

Grow hit it when she said television was the cause..Bad behavior is glorified and everything is forgiven especially for celebs. There are excuses for everything from sex to weight gain. EVERYTHING is an addiction and no one has to take responsibility.

If you eat too much cake , it's not your fault,  they'll say, sugar is like cocaine . If you get caught having an affair it's a sex addiction.

Living together is totally acceptable, so when teen, or any unmarried pregnancy occurs ,how can we think it's wrong. What do you think happens at night(or whenever) when a couple lives together.

Drug addiction, and alcoholism is no ones fault. It's a sickness. I agree to treat it like a disease, to cure it, but I doubt someone forced hooche down someones throat, or stuck a needle in someone's arm.It was party time that got out of control.

Whether, or not you agree with gay marriage, it is easy to see why young people vote for it. For the most part, from what I see, marriage does not mean what it used to. In addition, the divorce rate is around 50%, so failure can be expected in 1/2 the cases,  Marriage is viewed different then it used to, and that will never change.

I read here that it's government policies causing all of the problems. As I wrote earlier , I disagree. It's fashionable to blame government for everything now. It's just another excuse. WE elect the politicians. They do the bidding of those that elected them in their local areas.If liberals put them in then they pass liberal legislation. If conservatives put them in, they serve them. Politicians goals are to be re elected. Compromise, which was the old way that everyone wants to go back to, is now demonized.

In addition, TV and radio "newspeople", push their agenda to incite hatred for opposing views and the public reacts with hatred towards those who have those opposite views.Their followers believe the lies and half truths and follow their media heroes  like sheep. They

do not question anything ,as long as the host tells them what THEY want to hear and believe. There is no tolerance for any one who opposes those listeners, the hatred is rampant and contagious. These same people will then  say  that they love democracy, but won't accept that in a democracy, "sometimes the other guy wins". As long as this intolerance exists for other views, nothing will change, or get fixed.

• Like 1

Grow hit it when she said television was the cause.

I don't care for the opinions of those that claim that guns create violence and lawlessness, and likewise, I refuse to blame TVs for anything. It is the kind of crap that people want to watch that adds to the violence and other social ills. The shock-TV that leads the ratings, fosters even more of the same. Also, the programming is not exactly free of pinko ideals that make violence acceptable and excusable, the worst of which is the nightly news.

But really, the entire social structure of our society is rotting right from the inside out. Every principle that our country was founded on and which served as the glue that kept everything together as a compassionate but self-reliant population have been perverted, belittled and discarded by every corner of society. We as a people deserve this chaotic breakdown. Those that could have spoken against these deviations from civil behavior didn't and those forces of evil that revel in anarchy and social breakdown have been allowed to run rampant and define our system in a the way that we now find it. Liberal or conservative, we have gotten what our pursuits in the wrong directions, or our apathetic lack of political activity naturally provide. We defeated communism only to firmly entrench in our own country. Congratulations to us all.

Doc, I agree with what you say,and you certainly hit the points better then I did, but TV makes it worse, in my opinion. It incites hatred and intolerance

I remember, as I 'm sure you do, Kruschev's words around 1960. "We will win without firing a shot".  It didn't happen, but I don't like the direction we're heading, because, in my opinion, we are destroying ourselves, and I don't like where it could lead.both domestically and internationally.

• Like 1

My age was still in the single digits when I first saw "Friday The 13th" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and I never grew up with any urges to wear a mask and start slashing people up. But of course, my parents instill so much "right and wrong" in me that I was able to tell early on the difference between reality and make-believe.

Don"t read that statement as meaning programing only please...though some of it could be included....TV.. electronics have taken the place of family and friends to some degree...they are the new baby sitter... have taken the place of the neighbor hood interactions....kick the can...hide an seek...baseball on the vacant lot.... parents sitting on each others stoops or porches watching the kids and talking... now it's tv series and computer time......games, movies, blogs e-mails... the phone and texting

we can't forget the other elephant in the room though...sorry some of you..lawyers

just one of the other reasons those vacant lot baseball games stopped is law suits ....is there any thing one can't sue another person over?....it didn't take too many years for ppl to stop learning how to handle simple conflicts in a civil manor..no need to....... call the cops then the lawyer...or the other way around...cover all bases for a possible pay out.... Well if your a kid and you know it's going to escalate to cops lawyers and jail...why bother holding back and use what little brains God allows an out of control teen..... to hell with it! There use to be a time that stupidity was met with some understanding and breaks..not now..do that and one risks a law suit down the road  for dereliction of duty... those little breaks given allowed a little respect to seep into kids brains...for one thing they came with a talking to...not insults.. put downs or frustrated anger....Well ppl have lost the ability to deal with other ppls emotions...compromise has been replaced by anger and a  need for retribution 

Don"t read that statement as meaning programing only please...though some of it could be included....TV.. electronics have taken the place of family and friends to some degree...they are the new baby sitter... have taken the place of the neighbor hood interactions....kick the can...hide an seek...baseball on the vacant lot.... parents sitting on each others stoops or porches watching the kids and talking... now it's tv series and computer time......games, movies, blogs e-mails... the phone and texting

OK, there is  a huge point! The almost religious worship of technology in this electronic age has changed the way we as a society relate to each other. All these toys help remove us from society. Instead of fostering communications, I believe it warps communication. As we all crawl off into our own little electronic hide-a-way, we begin to lose sight of the fact that there are other real people around us as we begin to see them as text displayed on a screen. We all create our own little version of reality as our world focuses into the little screen of whatever electronic contraption we happen to have our fat little fingers wrapped around. Humanity is being washed away into a series of ones and zeros to the point where many begin to relate in weird ways to others through the keypad. Sure enough, can it really be surprising when some individuals all of a sudden completely lose sight of the fact that there are real living people involved in their world and lose the appreciation for the fact that those lives have value. Oh sure, there are mental health problems behind each of these horrific headlines, but one has to wonder just how much all this impersonal techno-relation to those around us facilitates that mental disorder and the way it is all played out.

Another outfall of techno- amusement is the fact that just like any other addiction, the needed high is always escalating. It keeps taking more and more to fill up our lives. If some of that need happens to come out as a need for violence, I guess that shouldn't surprise anyone. How many of these killings happen simply because the perpetrator wanted to just experience what it was like? We are becoming conditioned to receiving more and more stimulation in our daily lives .... The need to reach that next high. As mentioned, kick-the-can, hide and seek, baseball on the vacant lot, and simple face-to-face conversation just simply doesn't cut it anymore. Does this all mean we are each going to go off into a killing rampage? ..... probably not, but you have to wonder how many additional people are being pushed over the edge by the impersonalization of our world and the constant expectation and need for stimulation.

• Like 1

I truely believe if we put God and Country back into our schools it would make a difference. Also stop the open door BS! If you come here, practice what WE preach! God and Country! I can't stand working hard and getting less when people who don't get more! Pisses me off!

That's only true when that's all they ever see.  I got the "belt" a bunch of times.  Every single on was accompanied with a thorough explanation as to why I got the "belt".  I was also rewarded very well when I did anything positive.  It's a problem when the parent is never around and the only time they "show up" is to pull out the "belt".

AMEN BRO!!! i "got it" many a time and it helped me out lol

I truely believe if we put God and Country back into our schools it would make a difference. Also stop the open door BS! If you come here, practice what WE preach! God and Country! I can't stand working hard and getting less when people who don't get more! Pisses me off!

Amen bro!!! I TOTALY agree!!!