Salmon running?

Woodjr55

Ummm Yeah Okay Biz.

Anyways yes they are running, but limited.  I seen a few out back by the trestle and the neighbors have been fishing hard at the ball park and doing very well.  Dont expect to sit on one spot and be into fish all day yet, plan on some searching and you will find fish.  Nice fresh and silver. From the ones I have seen so far they are pretty hefty in size for this early run.   Nows the time to beat the crowds and get into fresh fish.  Come sept 27 its time to get off the water and in the stands.  It works out really well here, when our bow season hits thats when the river starts to get over crowded. 

50 hookups a day? I have to question that one.

Years ago I had days like that. I was using J Plugs though. 99.9% of the hookups were in the back of the fish and broke off in 10 seconds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Years ago I had days like that. I was using J Plugs though. 99.9% of the hookups were in the back of the fish and broke off in 10 seconds.

In August on the river?  I have lived on this river my whole life and never heard nor have I ever had 50 hookup days in August. Mid to late September yep August nope.  Even last year after a record run year nope. 

In August on the river? I have lived on this river my whole life and never heard nor have I ever had 50 hookup days in August. Mid to late September yep August nope. Even last year after a record run year nope.

Noooo, early October if I remember correctly.

I have been up there a few times to check things out and my unlce threw line in yesterday he had a few hook ups but fish are fresh and strong as ever.

As far as numbers I have heard of a few running up the river in the morning hours and it slows down pretty fast. I could only assume with a little rain the fish will be packed in the river within 3 weeks or less.

I would love to try this. I live like 30 miles away and have never tried it. I would not know where to start!! I love wild Alaskan salmon are any of the ones there as tasty? I would hate to go when there is a person every 10 feet, sounds like now might be fun.

Anybody have some tips?? Where to go? I hear eggs are what works best? How heavy a rod and line? I am not even sure I could tell which is what having never caught one. I would have to bring pics with me!! lol

I would love to try this. I live like 30 miles away and have never tried it. I would not know where to start!! I love wild Alaskan salmon are any of the ones there as tasty? I would hate to go when there is a person every 10 feet, sounds like now might be fun.

Anybody have some tips?? Where to go? I hear eggs are what works best? How heavy a rod and line? I am not even sure I could tell which is what having never caught one. I would have to bring pics with me!! lol

I've heard Alaskan Salmon tastes way better, since its an ocean Salmon. Smoked Salmon from VanCouver is excellent as well!

A good time to start would be in like 2 weeks because there are a lot of fresh salmon and usually a nice run of fresh cohos at that time. Eggs and egg limitations are great for all of the fish. You could always cure the eggs you get out of the fish. Columbus day is usually the perfect storm of salmon fishing with every fish that enters the river a possible catch. If you want i could pm you more info including what rods, hooks and line is good to use as well as some spots. 

• Like 1

The small early run from 2 weeks ago is long gone. Fished Sunday and there was more dead belly up salmon floating downstream than live ones going upstream. Water temps are too high and is proving fatal to lots of those early running salmon.  Gates opened up Sunday and heavy rain today should bring a fresh run up and cool the water a bit.  I would not make a special trip up at this time, wait another week or two if any one is itching to come up.