Early Setup

WELLSY

So I was able to get up to my hunting camp in the Adirondacks a couple weeks ago. Since it is a trip to get there I decided to set up my tree stands. I scouted for some tracks and general signs. I placed my stands and cameras based on the sign. Do you think this is too early to set up? I have never set up that early before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Noahmstones got a good point , if theft is not a worry , than earlier the better... I've been done since the first or second week of August ... I'd rather let the area be as calm as possible the next month , outside of the occasional quick slip in for a cam check without lugging in stands n bagging around puttin em up ... Ur fine ..

Here's my opinion for what it is worth. I don't know what the food sources are in the area that you hunt, but I do know that deer are still well into their summer food sources right now, with their bedding-feeding patterns established accordingly and with many changes to come over the next month or two. So as food sources change and cover begins to open up from fall defoliation you will see changes. As rut begins and matures you will changes again. Your selection of stand locations may work for the earliest part of the season, but be prepared to change locations as the patterns take their fall shifts.

You're off to a good start WELLSY! Gotta start somewhere! It must be tough in the mountains, deciding where to place stands. I'm use to farms, ag fields, bottlenecks, and smaller woodlots. You put the stands where the sign is at now and season starts pretty soon. Hunt them, see how it goes, and move around later if need be.

Don't know how many stands you have, but if you had a few to hang in various places, it might better your chances. If you're not seeing activity in one spot, you can always jump in another stand. Or maybe even use a climber?

Edited by Cabin Fever

Just curious ..... When you say your camp is in the Adirondacks, are you talking deepest, darkest, central, Adirondacks where there is almost no farming activity at all, or are you talking about peripheral Adirondacks where there is some agriculture nearby?

Just curious ..... When you say your camp is in the Adirondacks, are you talking deepest, darkest, central, Adirondacks where there is almost no farming activity at all, or are you talking about peripheral Adirondacks where there is some agriculture nearby?

My camp is in the adirondack park preserve. Little farming going on. Deer mainly rely on natural food sources. I am set up on a set of skidder tracks leading from hardwoods, and off the back side of a pond and marsh. At a point of 5 trails coming together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Tough-looking country! The fact that it's been logged has got to offer some feeding opportunities. Generally when the woods is opened up like that, the new open areas fill up with browse. Also, the fact that you have 5 trails coming together indicates that you have a pretty good supply of deer And a spot with good potential). Most of us rely on agriculture to set up patterns for us. My hunting area way down here in Ontario County is beginning to look more and more like yours .... lol. Farmers have pretty much abandoned this hill country. So like you, I am at the mercy of wide-ranging browse feeding patterns. We get a bit of a break when the oaks are producing acorns. That concentrates them a bit. But I am constantly reacting to changing food and bedding patterns throughout the season.

First let me congratulate you on a well thought-out spot. Sounds like you are at a "converging hub".

If you can get back there before green-up after the season is over, walk that transition line in the marsh. You'll be able to pick out the beds and set up closer to the ones that bucks are using to increase your odds of a daytime visit. I still think, however, you are in a good spot as is. I would next look along that NE quadrant along the long marsh transition line as well as the point jutting out in the marsh. The bend in the creek also stands out as a likely place to find a buck bed.

I'm sure you'll do fine.