A deer processing observation.

Fantail

What weapon has done the job for you without excessive damage to the deer?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What weapon has done the job for you without excessive damage to the deer?

• Bow
    • Muzzleloader
    • Shotgun (slug / sabot)
    • Rifle (depends on the ammo)
    • Doesn't matter to me - grind it up and bring on the lasagna & sausage

I would just like to note something about cleaning the deer we take. I am not bragging at all but I would rather like to know if others agree in some way. This year so far I have processed 4 deer, 3 of my own and 1 a buddie took with a bow. Basicaly that's 3 by bow, & one by Muzz/gun within 3 weeks time vs. 2 or 3 over the course of the whole season. I think when many of us take deer we may tend to check the shot damage or placement, but perhaps skip over what I reminded myself of - another reason why I took up Bowhunting. The Bow kills were - clean. I mean sure there was blood loss, that's the point but there was so much less colateral damage to the meat. In other words, imo the bow takes were easier, maybe even quicker to process.

Rifle shot through the cage? That works unless maybe your after the ribs.

typically the bows kills are cleaner or at least from my own personal experiences...  sometimes with the gun you can get alot of bone fragment on the meat or alot more hair, not all the time tho. i enjoy taking deer with the bow. i would agree, deer hit in the boiler makes are cleaner. i mean its not like processing a deer taken with the gun is a whole lot harder to clean or takes longer but i have noticed things to be neater inside.

Probably less meat loss when killed with a bow, but I don't think it's too much extra work cutting away any bullet damaged portions.  Plus, I for one feel a lot more confident putting down a deer with a gun and that means a lot to me also so I don't mind a little meat loss  One may get more meat with a bow, but I feel better recovering and gutting a deer sooner which is more likely to happen while gun hunting in comparison to bowhunting where one may have to wait hours or overnight before searching or recovering them.  Also the chances increase that coyotes or other critters will get that venison before we do so it isn't totally unheard of that bowhunters will get NO meat to process.

Probably bow then rifle for me.  In my experience the rifle damage has more to do with the shot placement than the ammo selection though. 

I have shot two bucks with my .450 Marlin and had a nice clean .45 caliber hole straight through.  I've had a buck hit with a 150 gr .30-06 in a quartering away shot that made a ever-loving mess out of the off side front quarter, while one broadside, hit just behind the shoulder with a 180 gr Federal HE .30-06 went clean through with little spoilage.