what part of the rut is on when rifle opens?

fearthebeard

In a spot that will give you a good shot opportunity. Will you be in a treestand?

We are talking 2 1/2 months away so putting a scrape in now could be all for nothing when the rut swings in. A buck you watch all October could be in the next county when he starts chasing does. The deer will still be in their summer feeding patterns until the transition period in mid to late Oct. Then they will start getting more fidgety about the upcoming breeding season.  I can understand your eagerness to get bucks on your hunting grounds and if you choose to put a scent dripper out, pleeease don't fill it with estrus scent until the last week of October-first week of November!

How many acres do you have permission to hunt? 

It is imperative that you get the law after these poachers! Don't try to be a hero, just stay observant and even pass the word around to neighbors that you suspect deer poaching.

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

its about 5 acres all corn field im hunting on the ground i have a blind set up thick pines to the right of the corn field is where they bed down to my left small patch of thick woods i know they ttravel in at night i had a young 6 last year i passed up just wondering aROUND A MATURE 8 CAME OUT DURING DAY LIGHT ON THE MOVE DIDNT FEEL COMFORTABLE TAKING THE SHOT BECAUSE there was a house behind him and my dad taught my to be an ethical hunter and u cant take the bullet back ya know he was mature really long rack been beting myself up since hence why im so eager this year

For me,  I tend to think its typically peak rut when gun opens.  As in, the breeding is actually occurring.  Some years, especially those first few days of the season can be nice with some chasing going on.  Other years, the deer can be sort of locked up with their does.  Last year was like that, by me anyway.  Deer just werent moving.  The bucks were hanging out with the does in very small areas, more or less all day long.

The weather also ties into this.  Not only in terms of their movement, but your ability to hunt them.  If they are locked up with a doe all day long, your only hope is to go after them.  Can't sit.  Problem is, if the weather is such that still hunting is out of the question (no wind, crunchy leaves, etc.), you are in a tough spot.  In these cases, we find its best to try to hunt as a team and push deer out of these areas.

What can be a frustrating is that it may take a few days of hunting to sorta get a bead on what the deer are doing.  My hunting group does not hunt bow where we rifle hunt, and really do all our scouting, on the fly, as we start the first few days of rifle.

1. Are migrant workers even allowed to possess a firearm?
  2.  Do employees of a farmer who has nuisance permits need a hunting license?

1. If they are here legally, why not? People on this forum go out of country to hunt.
  2. Anyone using nuisance permits need to be licensed. 

Buck do not bed with doe unless highly pressured, or during rut. Stop looking for Deer sign and look for buck sign (there will be rubs from previous years) even if the buck that made them is killed another seems to take its place.usually the thicker the area the better! Its always better to be in a place to get a deer that you might see,than in a place to see deer that u might get.

Don't discount state land on opening day. The hoards of hunters will have the deer on the hoof all day long. Try to find a safety zone and get in early. You may only be able to see 40 yds., but that's where they will go to hide. The smartest buck and the dumbest fawn alike will beat feet to the thick stuff when the bell tolls!

• Like 1

Sounds to me like alot of good advice.. I dont really have much more to offer, but I do have a suggestion.. Bowhunt.. I think it is the absolute best time to be in the woods.. First two weeks in November are magical and the bucks are cruising lookinh for some tail. Thats when a Grunt call is invaluable.. You can also learn alot bowhunting considering the fact that you need to be close for a kill shot.. I started bow hunting when I was 15 and didnt take a Racked Buck until I was 26 (with the bow). Many mistakes and mishaps in between, but I learned alot about deer. First week of gun is so so for me, but after that I just fill my doe tag. Too much pressure and any buck worth his salt has gone nocturnal in my area. Im also in Columbia County.. Chatham/Kinderhook area. Lots of deer and not many bow hunters which makes for some exciting hunting. Plus if you love to hunt, why not do it as much as possible? Im in the woods in October with a bow and in December with my Muzzeloader.. The deer absolutely hate me.. I think a nice buck is in the near future for you. Dont kick yourself either. I could tell you 50 should have could have would have stories.. Those mistakes and mishaps have made me a deadly camoflauged ninja..

Sounds to me like alot of good advice.. I dont really have much more to offer, but I do have a suggestion.. Bowhunt.. I think it is the absolute best time to be in the woods.. First two weeks in November are magical and the bucks are cruising lookinh for some tail. Thats when a Grunt call is invaluable.. You can also learn alot bowhunting considering the fact that you need to be close for a kill shot.. I started bow hunting when I was 15 and didnt take a Racked Buck until I was 26 (with the bow). Many mistakes and mishaps in between, but I learned alot about deer. First week of gun is so so for me, but after that I just fill my doe tag. Too much pressure and any buck worth his salt has gone nocturnal in my area. Im also in Columbia County.. Chatham/Kinderhook area. Lots of deer and not many bow hunters which makes for some exciting hunting. Plus if you love to hunt, why not do it as much as possible? Im in the woods in October with a bow and in December with my Muzzeloader.. The deer absolutely hate me.. I think a nice buck is in the near future for you. Dont kick yourself either. I could tell you 50 should have could have would have stories.. Those mistakes and mishaps have made me a deadly camoflauged ninja..

This has nothing to do with the OP's original question. Reported.

Reported? There are like ten different discussions here about the Rut, Poachers and asking permission to hunt on other pieces of property. Do we have a problem????? I thought I would give this website another try and it seems as though that was a mistake. Always seems like someone is picking a fight with me.. Not many friendly hunters here.. Its a shame too because im a fanatic and love swapping stories.

Reported? There are like ten different discussions here about the Rut, Poachers and asking permission to hunt on other pieces of property. Do we have a problem????? I thought I would give this website another try and it seems as though that was a mistake. Always seems like someone is picking a fight with me.. Not many friendly hunters here.. Its a shame too because im a fanatic and love swapping stories.

You can go ahead and swap stories all you like, on another thread instead of derailing this one. No one is picking a fight, unless you are looking for one.

its about 5 acres all corn field im hunting on the ground i have a blind set up thick pines to the right of the corn field is where they bed down to my left small patch of thick woods i know they ttravel in at night i had a young 6 last year i passed up just wondering aROUND A MATURE 8 CAME OUT DURING DAY LIGHT ON THE MOVE DIDNT FEEL COMFORTABLE TAKING THE SHOT BECAUSE there was a house behind him and my dad taught my to be an ethical hunter and u cant take the bullet back ya know he was mature really long rack been beting myself up since hence why im so eager this 

THIS WAS ALSO OFF HIS ORIGINAL TOPIC, BUT MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE RE-RAILED HIM THE MINUTE HE VEERED OFF COURSE.  FORGIVE ME FOR NOT CORRECTING HIM IMMEDIATELY 

Change your screen name to doewacker 2? Sorry could'nt resist. Actually I can sympathize, in 20 plus years of hunting I have taken one nice 8 point buck. Some years no deer, some a doe I have had chances for other good bucks but not got them for various reasons, too painful to recount.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH WHAT PART OF THE RUT IT IS WHEN GUN SEASON OPENS?

SHOULD I KEEP GOING?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME SHAWN?  WHAT LAME ANSWER ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE ME NOW?  THAT I DERAILED THE ORIGINAL TOPIC?  I THINK YOU ARE PICKING A FIGHT WITH ME... THATS WHAT I THINK... IMMEDIATELY BREAK MY BALLS AS IF I POSTED ABOUT ANTLER RESTRICTIONS AGAIN...

i am definitely no expert but i did read somewhere that snort wheezing only works with a higher number of mature bucks. I may stay away just because i dont own the land and am not familiar with buck patterns, amount, and how they act. May try it once or twice  

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE????    TOTALLY ON TOPIC RIGHT?  JUST MY POST WAS THE PROBLEM... WHAT DOES SNORT WHEEZE HAVE TO DO WITH THE PHASE OF THE RUT DURING GUN SEASON?

DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH WHAT PART OF THE RUT IT IS WHEN GUN OPENS? THIS GUY WAS DERAILING ALSO?  I DONT KNOW, MAYBE IM CRAZY..

JETMEC DIFFERENT GUY, NOT ME.. 

Heh heh! LMFAO

Peterbfly, Why would you call me into this? I was simply bustin on the OP for not using punctuation. Look a few posts back and you also like one of my posts!  Heh heh. 

Edited by PREDATE

Just using it as an example.  Shawn banned my reply and reported me as if I insulted his family... So I used other posts as examples, but I know im wasting my time.. I just dont seem to fit in on this site.  

shawn cant ban anything. He didnt report anything either. Hes the king of killing threads around here, just ignore him.

• Like 1