Foul Anchor 2013

Hunt NY

Well I guess I will start a journal, have had the trail cams out since late June, have had a lot of different deer show themselves, the season cannot come up quick enough, this should be another great NY Bow Season...I hunt Southern Onondaga County 7M and around home in Oswego County 7A...some of the cam pics so far this year...

OrchardBuck.jpg

CDY_0021.jpg

OrchardBuck2.jpg

CDY_0019.jpg

CDY_0018.jpg

CDY_0015.jpg

CDY_0014.jpg

2012 was a good year I managed to fill both Bow Tags I shot a nice buck I had on camera however, he lost a side of his rack, not a big deal he was the biggest bodied deer I have ever taken he weighed in 191 dressed, I also took a nice doe, the first deer I got on video and I filled a 7M doe tag...

012-10.jpg

010_zps7007a838.jpg

012_zps93113d0b.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnedKG4gqZ4

2012SecondDoe.jpg

Well the new camp is finally in place, now just some finishing touches over the next couple weeks but it is pretty exciting to have a camp to call my own...There was nothing easy about getting it in place but after about 4 hours of pushing, pulling, winching and maneuvering she is setting in place, now to add some bunks, a woodstove, a sink, a table a couple windows and some lights we will be in business...

Camp2.jpg

Camp9.jpg

Camp7.jpg

Camp6.jpg

Camp8.jpg

Camp3.jpg

Camp91.jpg

Camp.jpg

Camp92.jpg

Camp5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well broke the Ice yesterday afternoon for 2013 and the new Bow...

Crazy Crazy hunt tonight...got off work a little early to hit my stand...brought my four wheeler tonight because my stand is quite a ways back in and mostly uphill and yesterday I was a sweaty mess by the time I got set up.  First hurdle...about halfway to my stand in a wet spot that has been getting worse I buried the wheeler, after trying to get it out for a few minutes my awesome plan had completely backfired, now me and my bow was covered in mud and I was a sweaty mess...so I hiked the rest of the way in.  Decided after yesterdays hunt to move my stand about 30 yards to a different tree, as I finally climbed up to get the stuff I left in the tree out and climbed back down and moved to the new tree.  The tree was set back against some hemlocks for great cover, however, it had a string of poison ivy running up it...I used a stick to pull that off the tree and began climbing...up about 10 feet and I needed to break one of the hemlock branches...bending it with some good force it finally snapped, I took a deep breath as it snapped as a couple brown hemlock needles when right down my throat...there I was gasping for air and hacking and retching in the woods...I couldn't take a deep breath, sounds funny now but it was pretty scary...what a freak thing to happen...I finally climbed down and spend 20-30 minutes trying to clear my airway and coughing and dry heaving...WTH!!!  Finally cleared it for the most part and collected myself, I really was debating whether to hunt of not, I decided to move to another tree about 50 more yards where I saw a deer the night before, no branches to break...finally after about an hour and 1/2 after leaving my truck I was set...about an hour later a pair a grey fox came through and I got some really cool video...then at 6PM a big lone doe worked her way to me...I had the camera rolling and went to full draw as she turned right towards me...it was now or never at that point, her chest looked big through my sight window and I knew I could make that shot, even though I haven't shot a deer with a bow straight on before...I let it fly and red sprayed everywhere...I waited until dark to climb down and there was good blood...about 10 yards past where I lost sight of her she was done...first deer of the year and a crazy hunt that turned out good...two pics and a video of the hunt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZs4afWAEbE&feature=youtu.be

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So one of the best things that can make a season great is to be part of someones first deer...Our great friend Josh decided a couple years ago he would hunt with us and came out a couple times with his old 30/30, over the next summer he decided he wanted to get into bowhunting, so he set up an old bow and he needed a special sight because he cannot see well out of his right eye, he has a sight where he shoots right handed with his left eye...practiced up and hunted a few times last year with us...this past summer he wanted to get more serious, he joined our club, he bought a four wheeler and got a couple treestands...he has been hunting with us every weekend.  He has passed on a few deer already because he didn't want to shoot a fawn or he didn't want to take a bad shot...this morning he had three bucks come through, and he took the first deer of his life...and it was with his bow...nice six point with a perfect lung shot...the deer went about 60 yards and died right on the four wheeler trail...regardless of how the rest of the season goes, being part of someones first deer has already made it great!  I also think the seed has now been planted with his little son Tanner, he was proud of his Dad!

JoshDeer4.jpg

JoshDeer3.jpg

JoshDeer2.jpg

JoshDeer.jpg

• Like 1