2013 Improvements to Land

After years of low deer production we decided to go all out on improving our property.

Property is a 120 acre lot with 2 10 acre fields divided by a tree line. The woods are mainly oaks behind the second field. The cabin sits in the front field, followed by a thin tree line and then a back lot.

Heres what we did, could use some input.

Three years ago we had the property thinned out and had some trails made.

This year with the help of a local farmer we planted 2 acres of Antler King Trophy Clover mix as well as some chicory for the turkeys in the back lot. I also planted 4 Crab Apple trees in the area dividing the thin tree line and the clover field. 

Do you guys think I should plant more trees? If so what kind and how many?

Lastly, I understand clover will continue to grow for up to 6 years. What are the best ways to maintain it?

Thanks.

Try Dunstan chestnuts (99% american) they Are blight free, and do not suffer off years or frost out because they don't flower till julyJuly. Produce large volumes of nuts in 5-8 years. Need at least 2. For pollination. And they are so sweet to eat, deer will walk by apples and corn to get to them. You thinned your woods..did you make or mark off a sanctuary area 10 acres or so of thickest area you have ,allow no hunting or walking thru it. That will do more for your place than anything else,as long as you don't shoot into it and leave it alone!!

As far as fruit trees go I just planted 25 on my property that I grew from seed.  Seeds in January were 3 foot tall pear trees and crab apples in late August when they went on the ground.

Another good idea is to hit your locale kmart, walmart, lowes, home depot and grab up some older (3 to 4 yrs) fruit trees at a discount now from the left overs  (got that idea from I think geno C on this site and this is going to be my plan next year)

Keep some of the field grass tall around the edges to create a soft edge instead having the deer walk from woods to 6 inch clover plot.

A great site with great ideas (besides this one for new York specific properties) is the forum at QDMA.com

Thanks for all the help.

The plan right now is to continue to plant a few more trees each year. I am going to look into the chestnuts. 

My property line is a stream that back up to a farm. I dont have any stands down by the stream though bc it sits at the bottom of an extremely deep hill and I would have to walk threw my neighbors hunting area to get to it without making too much noise. That hill would be a deathtrap for me to navigate in the dark. Maybe not a bad afternoon stand?

Im concerned about the clover though? Do i have to spray it all year or just a few times? If so when?

Check in with the DEC Saratoga nursery in the spring. They have some great packages and are very reasonably priced. I love having an acre or two of thick pines. I have that on my property and the deer use it for cover and travel all the time. BTW I ordered  white spruce, crabapple and grass packages. All are doing fine.

If you planted a mix....clover /chicory the only option I know of that won't kill the chicory is mowing....but with my plots I prefer to mow...I find when mowing clover you stimulate growth.......There are stages of weeds...spring summer and fall...you'll find the fall weeds to be the worst...they seed the fastest IMO...you want to mow before the seeds start to develop..some will grow by rhizomes...so you need to keep your plants thick to smother that....not all clovers are the same as far as growth and reproduction...I don't know what is in Antler King...with 2 acres and a Farmer helping you...have you considered letting him have it at a reduced cost...or free for his help....assuming he didn't charge you in the first place

PS....nitrogen in this case isn't your friend...clover fixes it's own...and enough for the chicory...go with a 10-20-20 or 0-20-20 if using comercial...but best send a soil sample in for a complete analysis and make sure the ppl doing the report knows what the crop is...save your self some $$$ doing this...

Thanks for the help Elite. The farmer that helped us was paid. I dont have the time with work to get up there enough over the summer to spray plant rototill etc. 

Antler King consists of: Red Clover, Ladino Clover, Aslike Clover, Dwarf Rape Seed, Chicory

How often should i mow it? The plants are around 3 weeks old and are about 6-8 inches?

Leave it growing for now .....let the critters benefit from the tonnage...it will come back in the spring and then you can fertilize and watch growth to keep weeds down...mid winter thaw...check to see if you may want to do a little frost seeding to make up for the rape plants in there now...clovers frost seed well as do some alfalfa's...if the ph is correct