One of the nicer bucks from this season...

blackradio

really hope to see him. This is about 200 yards away from my favorite stand. My stand is right next to a big swampy thick area and in this pic he is coming out on the other side of it. Hopefully he chooses to come out my way at the right moment.

post-568-0-62668400-1379896289_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-26096700-1379896299_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackradio
  • Like 1

That's a great pic and great time of activity. Do you know why he came out on that side and not by your stand? I'd be more inclined to think I'm watching the game rather than playing in it, if my nearest stand is 200 yards away and I am relying on hope.

Is he coming/going to water maybe?

if he keeps going the way he is going, there is an apple tree full of apples about 50 yards away and if he keeps going about 300 yards further there is another thick swamp on the neighbors property who does not allow hunting. 

It's almost Noon...that buck isn't likely bedding within your neighbor's property. He's not far from his bed at all. Probably within a 100 yard circle of that pic is the bed he was leaving or going to.

the guy I hunt the property with (he let's me hunt there) has a stand on the other side of this swamp near where this buck is coming out but we've been unsuccessful in that stand the past few seasons. I think the bucks travel uphill slightly onto the neighbor's property and just skirt the stand. Last year we got the double drop tine buck on both of our cams, and I only saw him once from my stand. He was a few feet out of the swamp, about 90 yards from me, just grazing and we never got eyes on him again. Frustrating but I'm hopeful they'll slip up.

It's almost Noon...that buck isn't likely bedding within your neighbor's property. He's not far from his bed at all. Probably within a 100 yard circle of that pic is the bed he was leaving or going to.

i believe he beds on both. it's 2 thick swamp within about 300 yards.

i believe he beds on both. it's 2 thick swamp within about 300 yards.

Sure, I'm sure he does at some point. But, you are missing the bigger picture. That buck is on his feet at Noon. Your nearest stand is 200 yards away.

That buck is not straying far from the bed he is laying in that day...you can pretty much draw that 100 yard circle and his bed will be in there. That leaves you 100 yards at a minimum out of the game. If that apple tree is 50 yards away, he may likely be checking for fallen apples that fell between sun-up and Noon. Again, he's not going to be walking very far from his bed at Noon.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my hunting buddy and his 12 year old son went out on Sunday evening for Youth Firearms season and tried to get the kid his first deer. They sat in the stand I mentioned earlier, on the other side of the swamp. A spike came out at 80 yards with 10 minutes of light left and as they discussed whether to shoot or not, this buck in the picture I posted came out at 100 yards but wouldn't give him a shot. My friend was so excited. I think that convinced him that we should sneak in closer to the swamp to hang a stand.

Sure, I'm sure he does at some point. But, you are missing the bigger picture. That buck is on his feet at Noon. Your nearest stand is 200 yards away.

That buck is not straying far from the bed he is laying in that day...you can pretty much draw that 100 yard circle and his bed will be in there. That leaves you 100 yards at a minimum out of the game. If that apple tree is 50 yards away, he may likely be checking for fallen apples that fell between sun-up and Noon. Again, he's not going to be walking very far from his bed at Noon.

Well, my hunting buddy and his 12 year old son went out on Sunday evening for Youth Firearms season and tried to get the kid his first deer. They sat in the stand I mentioned earlier, on the other side of the swamp. A spike came out at 80 yards with 10 minutes of light left and as they discussed whether to shoot or not, this buck in the picture I posted came out at 100 yards but wouldn't give him a shot. My friend was so excited. I think that convinced him that we should sneak in closer to the swamp to hang a stand.

Writing was on the wall there.

Yes Phade, you were right.

Not really worried about being right - it's just what the info and facts told you about the situation. Use it as leverage and make your move as soon as you can. You still have a bit of time to catch him before that range starts getting too big to take advantage of. Sounds like you can do it, for sure.

Yeah I know, I haven't made it up there since I posted this thread. Itching to check my cam and sit for the afternoon this weekend possibly. Thanks.

Either bring a stand to set in there or move the one that needs moving. You already know where you need to be; no more wasting time in that stand that was sat. Good luck.

Remember with a swamp too, that you dont NEED to get high. All you need is to see over the reed grass/brush and be able to shoot before the buck knows he's been had. If you have cover at 10', then so be it. Make it happen. Really looking forward to see hero shots.