schuyler/seneca/tompkins/steuben bow hunt

ajsoma

Hey guys,

Coming out to the above areas to bow hunt state land rutting bucks 10-31 until 11-10. Never been there but planning on cashing in 4 days to scout as much land as possible. Are all these Bucks you guys are posting off private property? These are giants. I have exhausted Google earth and have a ton of spots to check once I arrive. What are the odds on state land in those 10 days at a 120" Buck. I am asking because I honestly have no clue.....what should I expect to see? Thanks guys....

Edited by ajsoma

Hey guys,

Coming out to the above areas to bow hunt state land rutting bucks 10-31 until 9-10. Never been there but planning on cashing in 4 days to scout as much land as possible. Are all these Bucks you guys are posting off private property? These are giants. I have exhausted Google earth and have a ton of spots to check once I arrive. What are the odds on state land in those 10 days at a 120" Buck. I am asking because I honestly have no clue.....what should I expect to see? Thanks guys....

i'm sorry to say, not very good, there's some huge bucks, they're few and far between,   some areas hold 20 to 40 hunters per square mile,

i'm sorry to say, not very good, there's some huge bucks, they're few and far between, some areas hold 20 to 40 hunters per square mile,

Come on....30 hunters per sq mile in bow season....I find that hard to believe! Gun season sure but I woulddoubt bow

Thanks for the honesty about Buck size though

Schuyler county off of rt 79 near Watkins Glen. There is government property that holds big deer, pretty big track of land you could get lost. Try that.

That is actually where iplanned informing most of my time on the edges abutting private property - should be fun to see new country and log some miles. I have heard is thicker than heLL in some areas in there

That is actually where iplanned informing most of my time on the edges abutting private property - should be fun to see new country and log some miles. I have heard is thicker than heLL in some areas in there

It's okay I wasn't expecting much if any info on here...I mean... it's the internet and nobody is gonna be promoting deer on public land in their backyard. I will just come out and see for myself

I 'm in the Steuben/Livingston area very few gun hunters aren't bow hunters..tons of kids and woman hunters here as well.he's not kidding about there being that many in such a small area in certain spots

Okay then....looks like I will just come out and see, I'm staying in Montour falls and I find it hard to believe will all the public land around there will be 30 bow hunters per sq mile....but I have never been there and I don't know.....I'm bringing a half dozen cameras to throw over mock scrapes so that will tell me something

640 acres divided by 30 = 21.33 acres a hunters...as I said in some areas...I'm not familar with state land hunting most all here in my area is private with the exceptions of the lakes and Hi-tor and Harriett Holister..in just 200 acres around our place..which includes my 73...there are 12 bow hunters I know of...like I said some areas it's not unheard of...I wish you the best this hunting season

I'm used to hunting lake placid and walking in for an hour just to get to where I wanna hunt. Maybe I will have a chance at a 3 or 4 pt we will see. So bow season 30 hunters per sq mile and how many deer per sq mile?

Edited by ajsoma

here's the problem, a lot of farmers have sold out in the last 10 to 15 years, nice little 20 acre lots, most guys buy there little 20 acres to hunt it

can't blame the farmer, they can't make any money, state land seems to have less hunters per square mile than private it's kinda crazy

the other problem is all the doe permits, in 7R they give out 38 doe permits per sq mile what's that tell you, a lot of guys come here to hunt

you hunt hard you'll kill deer, it's probably not going to be a giant, but you'll get a shot at something

Wow 30 hunters Sq mile, you are crazy. I live right in the Hector National Forest. Yes we do get some very nice deer. Coming up and trying to get a 120 class deer in 10 days it is possible but highly unlikely.  The National Forest is 15,000 acres broken up in 2 counties. You can find lots of nice little hunting spots you just have to look and do alittle walking, get away from the road and hike back. The best thing to do is stop at the Ranger Station on Rt 414 in Hector, and get a map. You also have some State Parks the are bow hunting only. If you hunt the National Forest make sure you are 100 percent legal, as on the the rangers is a retired DEC Officer. The biggest thing with the National Forest is one side of the road may be National Forest but the other side is private land.

Thanks guys....I'm honestly coming out with an open mind...I took a "friend" and what was supposed. To be his son but ended up being another guy to Ohio last year to a cabin I been renting for a few years...awesome hunting....this year he sniped it and rented it out ahead of me.

So I didn't want to deal with it and decided to come out to western new York instead. If I can see a few deer and maybe see some big bucks i will be happy!

I have seen a shot a couple nice buck in Taughanock State Park in Tbrug. That is bow hunting only. I was hunting right off RT 89 one time noisy has hell because of traffic but seen lots of deer. Also alot of the National Forest borders crop fields.  The Old Boy Scott camp (Now National Forest Land) borders vineyards to the north and south and Seneca Lake to the West. Lots of good hunting there too.