What is it?

Lawdwaz

Yes, indeed, Larry, that is Rocket J. Squirrel, better known as " Rocky the Flying Squirrel"...

They are really quite common, but seldom seen because of thier nocturnal nature..

Now, keep your eyes peeled for Bullwinkle...

" Fan mail from some FLOUNDER ??"....

And how about Boris and Natasha ?.. " We must GET Moose and SQUIRREL !! "

• Like 1

I have never seen one alive. My buddy had one land on his SHOULDER in the dark early in the morning a few years ago.  He didn't know WTF so smacked it and it died!  Ooops......

We looked at it and also figured that's what that was also.  Cool little critters.

I have hunted these pines (where the pic was taken) for 20 years now.  Often times I hear this strange sound that is similar to a bull frog but very quiet.  I can't really explain the sound perfectly until I here it again this fall.  I know it ain't a frog because I've heard it in very cold temps so I'd bet these are also flying squirrels making the sound??  

I've never seen hide nor hair of them, the sound starts just at dusk in the evening and moves from tree to tree but you can't see the maker.  I always was intrigued (I love that word!) by the sound.

Rocky's kin????? 

Edited by Lawdwaz

They are cool little critters! I've never heard them make a noise, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I've had people tell me about having something living in their attic. They kept describing hearing "thud" sounds on the sides of their house, like kids throwing tennis balls against the walls. I ended up catching flying squirrels. The "thud" sounds are from the flying squirrels gliding out of trees and landing on the sides of the house or roof. They are nocturnal and very active all night! NOT something you want living in your attic and walls! LOL

I was out 2 nights ago hunting yotes when I spotted eyes. It ran up a tree so I moved in for a closer look. It turned out to just be a small opossum but as I was closing the distance something about the size of a squirrel went soaring through my light beam. It made me think of this thread.

I saw one once. It somehow got into my friends house. It was in a room that was finished with barn board walls. Every time we got near it it would jump and fly to the next wall. After a while we finally caught it with a blanket and let it out side.  It was interesting to say the least. Haven't seen one since.