out after the king this weekend

yes its a lil on the warm side but after hunting bobwhites in south carolina in 2003/04 it's not  so bad. i hunt till close also unless the snow just becomes too deep for my cocker but really enjoy the autumn hunts till deer opens. hoping the leaves will drop in a timely manner. heading to adirondacks next weekend for a long weekend hunt should be a enjoyable time.

Edited by 16. ga hunter

I went out about four hours this morning No Idea what I'm doing with the Grouse first time I've ever attempted to hunt them. Figured what the heck If no grouse maybe I'd pick up a few squirrels or a rabbit.  I flushed one Grouse , but i was slow to get the gun up and slow to ID him so I passed on the shot, sure wish I would have taken it. 

I'm from SE Louisiana we don't have nay grouse down there. I've been living in NY since 85 and just started hunting again after 25 years, so if you guys have any tips I'd appreciate it. Also If you want to hook up for a hunt let me know I'm not averse to driving.

Figured i did pretty good just finding one. 

Shawangunk State forest near Summittville in Sullivan county is where I hunted this AM Working the wooded underbrush in the woods and the scrub oak on the top of the ridge between 1400 and 1600 feet. Don't have any idea if this is good habitat. 

It was real wet and I'm not the gun dog I used to be when I was last hunting.

Well Good hunting all

went out yesterday afternoon started out slow on the grouse but she put up 5 grouse unfortunately i had not registered for hip so let them fly. the woods dried up as the day got longer and managed to flush 3 birds for a total of 6 flushes with 2 shot opportunities. did not connect. i think within the next few weeks the leaves should be fully down allowing more shots. in all it was a great day my cocker is really on this year and paying no attention at all to deer a big plus in my book. wish all a good season.

went out yesterday afternoon started out slow on the grouse but she put up 5 grouse unfortunately i had not registered for hip so let them fly. the woods dried up as the day got longer and managed to flush 3 birds for a total of 6 flushes with 2 shot opportunities. did not connect. i think within the next few weeks the leaves should be fully down allowing more shots. in all it was a great day my cocker is really on this year and paying no attention at all to deer a big plus in my book. wish all a good season.

What is the name of the hunter education instructor you took your course from? 

You don't need to be registered in hip to hunt grouse - and you know that, stop wasting everybody's time and creating confusion with the regulations for novices...

My cabin in the tug Hill is covered up with ruffled grouse. Can't seem to walk with out tripping on a few. Was just at 3 rivers on Sunday and saw a pheasant just chilling on an access rd.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by jesse.james

sorry mike rossi was not trying to cause confusion just read it again myself. She had flushed woodcock up until about 330 which i did not have my hip number for would edit but evidently too late guess i need better proof reading. should have read started slow on grouse but she put up 5 woodcock....

sorry mike rossi was not trying to cause confusion just read it again myself. She had flushed woodcock up until about 330 which i did not have my hip number for would edit but evidently too late guess i need better proof reading. should have read started slow on grouse but she put up 5 woodcock....

That is what I suspected - but I hiccupped because you are one of those hunters who refer to the ruffed grouse as the king of game birds... 

We have been shooting WC as well. Not sure if they are flight birds yet or resident birds. Which reminds me, if anyone gets any bands, the internet reporting page is down due to the federal government shutdown, but the toll free number is working. It will be interesting getting paid if you collect a "reward band" this year, lol... Look for bands on any hip bird, including crows and doves (in other states which allow hunting them). Not Rock Doves which are usually known as "pigeons". A band on a Rock Dove means you shot someone's pet and can be charged with animal cruelty - which I believe is a felony...   The FWS and DEC do not band Rock Doves, but people who raise them do band their birds... Express terms in NY state agriculture markets law prohibit killing a rock dove (NYC pigeon) with a band. However, under NY State Environmental Conservation Law the Rock Dove is unprotected like starlings and feral pigs...

While on the topic, a lot of us like to use pigeons for dog training, and for good reason, They sometimes are cheaper than incubator - hatched game birds and also have flight characteristics that lend to dog training. However, although they are unprotected, it is still illegal to trap them. I am not sure about netting them at night. Since the relevant laws in NY are so convoluted - personally I just don't net them. I have netted and trapped them in other states however, and the bands I discussed are not terribly uncommon by the way...

Edited by mike rossi

What is the name of the hunter education instructor you took your course from? 

You don't need to be registered in hip to hunt grouse - and you know that, stop wasting everybody's time and creating confusion with the regulations for novices...

what was the point of that personal attack, at what point was he wasting everybody's time? and what does his hunter education instructor have to do with him making a mistake in what he said?

• Like 1

in my opinion they are the king of game birds of all game i hunt the grouse gives me the biggest rush. nothing compares to the thunderous flush of a grouse going up in the fall woods, puts my heart in my throat almost every time. and their quickness and ability to put themselves between you and cover/trees in a hurry is like no other.  

what was the point of that personal attack, at what point was he wasting everybody's time? and what does his hunter education instructor have to do with him making a mistake in what he said?

He seems to understand that because he uses language very consistent with someone who is an experienced bird hunter - that I second guessed my initial thought it was a typo. There are a lot of so-called trolls on hunting forums, and the past week or so it seemed to have spiked.

I take it you are satisfied with the quality of hunter education. You have your opinion and I have mine, although I am sure your opinion reflects the majority in the sporting community...  

He seems to understand that because he uses language very consistent with someone who is an experienced bird hunter - that I second guessed my initial thought it was a typo. There are a lot of so-called trolls on hunting forums, and the past week or so it seemed to have spiked.

I take it you are satisfied with the quality of hunter education. You have your opinion and I have mine, although I am sure your opinion reflects the majority in the sporting community...  

actually, I think our hunter education system could use an overhaul.........

• 2 weeks later...

I did some grouse hunting this past Satuday with my brother in law. We hunted between 10am and 1pm. A friend told us to try over by the Fleischmans/roxburry area. Anyay went there with my brother in law. We flushed three grouse and he got one. We also had two woodcock flush up and I got one. Woodcock were sitting out right in the open. I thought they were a pieces of wood on the grass till they flushed up. Hardest part was finding it after I shot it. It was his first grouse and I have yet to get a grouse. Was my second woodcock so I'm no expert there either.....none the less great day being out.

sounds good skeron we are doing well so far this year trip to adks was successful flushing 25 birds in 2 days taking 4. no woodcock were flushed there this year but thats ok by me seemed dryer than years past. Had the dog out sunday afternoon on pheasants and flushed 3 missed one and no shots presented on the following 2 one on the far side of a hedgerow and the other directly into the swamps. My cocker also ran 2 rabbits one of which we took.with a beautiful retrieve  to hand. 

No offense to anyone, but that post wasted my time and was misleading. I can't stand misleading regulation posts... Don't you? Btw, who was your instructor?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems