Deer Stink

eagle rider

What are your favorites and why?

Mine are-

1) Trails End 307- I think it's good for curiosity early on. I rattled in a big buck once using it and another time I grunted in an eight pointer.

2) Scape Mate and Active Scrape - Good during the rut. Got deer to come to the scrapes but it seems to work better when there is a lot of daytime traveling happening.

3) Doe Pee all season (not estrus). Just a natural smell for them to be around.

4) Ever Calm stick definitely. It just smells like deer beds. Like the old Fitzgerald Deer Dander. That stuff worked.

5) Tinks in the Aerosol Can. I've had some success. One rut and one second rut deer using it. But at $5 every time you pop the top on the can,.... it can run into silly money. There's more cost effective ways to get it done. Also used regular Tinks on a drag rag. It seemed to be okay for getting deer to follow me in. Younger deer though.

As I'm writing this I think there's not thing that works well on it its own all season.

My goals have always been to get the area to smell like ordinary deer activity for that time of the season without over selling it. I think mock scrapes work best in areas wheres there's other fresh scrapes or rub lines nearby. The sex attraction smells seem to work best when the chase is on.

I was writing to this guy in Texas where they feed. He said food attractants off travel trails with scents that make deer feel at ease. It got me thinking that maybe the Dominant Buck lures aren't always the best play for deer even during the rut. If you factor out the feed aspect of what the guy from Texas wrote about it makes sense, to keep deer calm and less alert by use of scents is probably a better way to bring them into an area that you're on stand in. The biggest deer I ever saw in the woods during the day light was a 12 that I jumped in a day bed when I didn't expect it. He was in a daytime bed 20 yards off a logging trail that had at least three different ways out for him. So why not set up a mock bedding area and post near it? Ever Calm Sticks on tree trucks using the prevailing wind and regular doe pee. Possibly us the Grave Digger Scrape Mate. Not the Estrus and the Dominant Buck type, the regular Scrape Mate all season. It seems like goo combo, but I don't know if it would work well for older bucks that are rutty.

Fresh droppings from around our place...there's plenty every place...use to use our goats urine and I would tie rags to the collars of my bucks...they urinate in their mouths and face then flem...after a week I'd untie the rags and put them in a plastic bag...then hang near stand....Always had  buck deer hanging around the goat barn in the fall....now I grind fresh deer droppings in my boots and drop fresh pellets..or use an Avocado mesh bag and put droppings in that and drag to stand...

• Like 1

The only Estrous Scent that has absolutely... without a doubt, drawn a mature whitetail buck is Wildlife Research Golden Estrous Leaf. This guy came through the thick crap on a string, not down a trail.

Here is the link to my story from 2008

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/6482-the-only-estrus-that-has-worked-for-me/?hl=%2Bestrous+%2Bleaf#entry82590

I think  the Estrus Trophy Leaf worked so well because it is a synthetic replica of the real Hot Doe in Heat estrus. I'll tell you what... it doesn't have a strong smell like of the bottle stuff I have purchased over the years. 

Does anyone know where Tinks and Code Blue buy their deer urine from before it hits store shelves?  I can tell you where over 100,55 gallon drums came from this last year!

Best i have ever used is Pure Heat. 100% doe in heat. Not in their 3 day cycle. Im talkin urine taken from the doe between her 55th  to 59th hour estrus period. Just before she gets bred!!!

The only stuff I've ever seen work is Tinks Power Scrape. I made a scrape last year, put a dripped filled with it over the scrape and put my trail cam facing it. After 2 days I had a few dozen does and 2 small bucks coming from every direction coming to check it out.

Ive heard code blue uses cow urine from when they are in heat. Dont want to argue just what i heard, Now i dont buy big name brands i support the true deer farmers.

Good thinkin. When you buy from a deer farm that also does scent you know what you are getting.

My buddy in Pa sells thousands of gallons of urine to these big companys.  One deer..One bottle they say....Ha Ha Ha!!!

Fresh droppings from around our place...there's plenty every place...use to use our goats urine and I would tie rags to the collars of my bucks...they urinate in their mouths and face then flem...after a week I'd untie the rags and put them in a plastic bag...then hang near stand....Always had  buck deer hanging around the goat barn in the fall....now I grind fresh deer droppings in my boots and drop fresh pellets..or use an Avocado mesh bag and put droppings in that and drag to stand...

Horse urine works well too, and plenty of, LOL.

Anyone ever try Bob Krischner's products.  He's a PA hunter and outdoor writer.  I've read some stuff on his lures, but I don't know anyone who's tried them.  I also think non blended is BS.  I've had just as much luck with blended for 1/2 the price as I have for single animal collection (supposedly) at double the price or plus.  

I just bought antler ice... I'm just questioning when I'm going to try it...

Experience with the following:

Code Blue - Snorted and ran away

Buck Bomb - No deer ever seen when used

Tinks 69 - Only worked prime rut

Kishel's - 70/30 Good product (Local)