Hunting 3N-Putnam cty 2013

BOLD1

Got to my spot opening day to see two flashlights in the distance setting up where I had planned to be. lol. Ended up on my plan B but didn't see anything.

Sunday saw two does 75 yards behind me moving fast about 30 min before sun down.

Still alot of hikers throughout the day. worst part is all the dogs off leash (not allowed) had boston terrier run under my stand.

Sorry, forgot to add, Fahnestock State Park.

Edited by vincy

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, if you can get permission on private land Putnam is really nice. I still go to the multiple use areas as well but I stay away from them on opening day (weekend) of any season. It's just scary out there with the crowd.

I'd really love to pick up some acreage where I could just go out and do my thing quietly, without all of the craziness of Public Land, but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen.

You guy's should look into the NYC DEP Lands in Putnam Co.total of about 17k acres even has a section under antler restriction,go to their web site and read how to get a permit,

also small game hunting is allowed,good for fishing,rules are not so bad.you can also hunt west of the hudson,some areas allow rifle hunting

During bow season...I feel the hunting is great. Yet come gun season, its BOOM,BOOM,BOOM...alot of NYC hunters. Still opening day and the first week is a great opportunity on the DEP Lands. Good Luck. Check out the area off of lockwood lane.

You guy's should look into the NYC DEP Lands in Putnam Co.total of about 17k acres even has a section under antler restriction,go to their web site and read how to get a permit,

also small game hunting is allowed,good for fishing,rules are not so bad.you can also hunt west of the hudson,some areas allow rifle hunting

I thought there was no permit required to hunt all DEP land ?