All Federal Wildlife Refuge Lands Closed

Live2Hunt

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you didn't know already. Was out and about today and stopped by the Iroquois Wildlife refuge and they had signs up that it is closed due to the budget issue. All look outs and the entire area closed. Not sure how long this budget crap will last but with duck season approaching you may want to give some thought on alternate areas to hunt. That means any other federal preserve or land you hunt cannot be accessed.

I was also told they are trying to close any access to stateland that has any federal money attached to it.

We are kind of like the peasents and the King says no more hunting on my land.......Land of the free???

This is really getting scary!

The controlled hunts on federal refuges obviously require federal staff. The DOI isn't considered critical staff, so the FWS staff is on furlough. As a result  those controlled or lottery hunts will not happen during the furlough. This pertains to federal duck stamp lands, not state Pitman-Robertson lands.

The DOI/FWS has the authority to disqualify any state from receiving future PR Funds if that state mismanages state-owned PR Lands. But that doesn't authorize them to close state lands and has nothing to do with the shut down. I cant imagine any basis which the shutdown could close state PR land. What exactly do you mean by this?

Edited by mike rossi

post-2589-0-06484300-1381413747_thumb.jpHi Mike,

Here is a picture of the notice that they are posting throughout the Irouquis refuge. Am I not interpreting this correctly? Not looking for a fight but , wondering who is correct.? This post or the article you listed.

So who is there to inforce this??post-2589-0-06484300-1381413747_thumb.jp

Answer to  Post # 4:

There is no inconsistency here. Waterfowl hunting on Iroqui is a controlled hunt ONLY. So is Montezuma and many other refuges around the country. A controlled hunt is an activity or program. No one is working to run the program.

Who will enforce it? The DOI/FWS have their own branch of federal conservation officers called special agents or wildlife agents.  I imagine FWS Special Agents are considered "critical staff" and will not be furloughed. They probably will actually beef up patrols.  DEC Conservation Officers do have jurisdiction on Federal Lands (not sure about DEC Forest Rangers) - I am sure the DEC will be patrolling as well...

The fact that rumors are being spread about this including that it effects state land reinforces the point about politicization of conservation. One group even claimed the government shut down would effect a section of open ocean. Please, enough is enough...

Edited by mike rossi

You know what, rereading those links, I am beginning to question why they are canceling the controlled hunts. It is indicated that "permanent accounts" / "non appropriated account" which include PR accounts would not be effected. It also says that staff who are paid from those accounts are not furloughed. It also says 492 law enforcement personal; 886 Permanent Fund Employees; and 306 General Refuge Employees are still working. That seems like a sufficient number to run the hunts... I never saw more than a handful at a check station...  Either something isn't right or the staff who administer the controlled hunts are paid with money appropriated by congress. Or, I have poor reading comprehension...  Anyone know?

Edited by mike rossi