Introduction

Berniez

My screen name is BernieZ and I would like to introduce myself to the forum. Growing up in New Jersey I started to hunt in high school have been ever since.  Two years after I graduated college I purchased 90 acres in Otsego county.  Kids and life put my habitat improvement plan on hold until they grew up and got married. In 2004  I left NJ and moved up to the farm. I still work full time from the house and still managed to farm the place...trying every latest and greatest wacky food plot craze,  Most of the latest and greatest food plot miracles do not work everyplace.  It seems that local conditions (other food sources available) dictate what works.(This fall I am trying radishes and oats...results yet to be determined).  . I even got my neighbors into letting me open fields on their properties. With a total of close to 900 acres to play with in 5 years we went from Spikes to lots of 8 pts with 20 inch spreads. It also increases small game (my particular favorite). ......I spend a lot of time just enjoying the place as hunting has taken 2nd place to improving the habitat.  

I am going to retire in 18 months or get fired (whichever comes first) and spend time playing with various habitat improvements.  I use to teach at the college level and still love to learn myself so if you have questions on habitat that works (at least) in central NY,,,,,,,just ask.  I am not afraid to put in my 2 cents worth in either.  

Everybody have a great fall hunting season.

berniez