I'm tired of sucking at hunting...

Caveman

It took me 7 yrs before getting my first deer...I was taught by "drivers"...which taught me nothing...not until I got into bow and started hunting alone ...did I start seeing what I was looking at...when you see deer ...

You can learn more about deer, not necessarily deer hunting, but the species deer in one bow season then you can in 3 gun seasons.

Thanks a lot everyone in this thread.  I'm going to get back to the PM's this afternoon. 

1 thing to be clear though, I'm grateful for your kind words about my success so far and I'm in no way considering giving up hunting.  I enjoy every second I spend in the woods and realize I've gotten off to a better start than most.  I'm just realizing I missed out on something valuable by not having someone to learn from is all.  

another thing.... dont let other hunter's success or tv shows bring you down. There are already some nice deer posted on this forum and the season is only a week old. Some people shoot nothing but trophies, but they're every 3 years or so. Others may happen to land their best buck this year. Just because you don't shoot a mounter, don't assume everyone else is. More hunters strike out than shoot a mounter.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

I say you're doing fine. I'm only in my 4th year and I learn something new every time I go out. The more you go out, the more you'll learn if you want to. 

I had a coworker who is 38 and has been hunting since he was 14. He shot his first deer when he was 15 and didn't shoot another until he was 34, and not for lack of being out there, he just didn't see much for those nearly 20 years. Now, he shot 2 more in the last few years. That's 4 deer in 24 years. He hunts the same way every time and never changes a damn thing. He has two stands to hunt and he might hunt one stand day after day, week after week and wonders why he doesn't see anything.

My point is if you want to learn, be out there like you are and learn from your experiences. If you find your approach not working, switch it up and try something new and see how that works. I'm still doing the same.

'cat......seems like you have had a bunch of good offers for help.  Scouting this time of year is pretty tough with all the falling leaves covering trails and even beds.  Spending too much time traipsing through some potential hunting grounds during the season certainly isn't a game ending thing but, IMO isn't rewarding enough to do it now.

Winter/spring tells the tale on trails and bedding areas well.  I know, they'll change things a bit depending on food sources but not enough to effect your hunting.  Summer scouting?  That's best left to the binos and spotting scope.

I'd be happy to accompany you in any local park or lands you might have permission to hunt this winter or spring. 

I've been told recently that my eyes are getting bad but I still have a pretty good handle on things.

Good luck this fall, stack 'em like cord wood..............................

I don't believe you can suck at hunting if you're out there enjoying yourself... think how lucky you are to have time to be in the woods enjoying something you like to do... you may not be as successful as you'd like to be, but that will come in time... just continue to enjoy just being out there.

• Like 2

Wildcats you are getting some great advice and offers from great people on this forum.

I too consider myself a newbie even though I'm in my 6th year of hunting in the SZ. In 6 years I've taken 2 Toms, 2 doe and 2 bucks. Two years ago I ddn't see anything close enough during bow season and I got skunked every time I went out during rifle season. Needless to say my freezer was empty. But just sitting in my stand or blind was enough for me that season as it is everytime for me. In 2012 I missed all of May gobbler season due to an illness. This past May I was siked to go and I was out there four weekends straight and didn't connect. But last year I tagged out on opening weekend for rifle in SZ and was done.

So far I sat this past weekend for a total of 15 hours and saw nothing but squirrels and chipmunks. I know the deer are out there. I've seen them on trail cam. I know it can get frustrating sitting for hours and not see anything and thinking where the heck did the deer go? Trust me that was me last weekend. And thanks to some good folks on this forum I kept my cool and kept at it even though I did not connect.

What's even more frustrating is that I can't hit the woods again until Nov 2nd due to work and other obligations.

As far as you are concerned, I would not downplay your achievement. You need to have patience and enjoy the woods whenever you can.

• Like 1