I'm tired of sucking at hunting...

Caveman

I'm 23 and I've been hunting for 3 years now.  In that time I've killed 2 deer, 1 ML and 1 bow, predominantly through blind luck.  I'm the first hunter in my family so I attempted to teach myself which I've learned is not the most efficient way.  So I have a proposition:

Is there anyone who knows how to scout in the Western NY area who would be willing to take me out on a scouting trip for a day and show me what you're looking for, what you're seeing, why you're looking for it, etc.? I'm not looking for a hunting buddy or permission for land, or anything like that.  I'd just like (in the offseason) a hands-on crash course in scouting so I know when I don't kill deer in the future it's not because they're not there.  

I'd be willing to reimburse you with an equivalent amount of labor as instructional time.  I have a good attitude and a strong back so I can split wood, hang signs, move stands, trim lanes, whatever can help you out.   

Also, I know people are weary of strangers these days, and rightfully so given the number of thefts, trespassers, etc.  I'd be willing to meet up for lunch/coffee/beer beforehand to put anyone's mind at relative ease.  Again, no ulterior motives, I just don't want to stagger aimlessly through the woods anymore like a blind squirrel hoping to find a nut.

• Like 1

Where are you located? I think people overthink scouting way too much. Tracks, trails, rubs, scrapes, beds, food and water source. For me if i can find a minimum of some of those then i know im in a decent area. Find em all and usually youve hit the jackpot. 2 deer in three years isnt bad. Heck im on a 2 year drought of zero deer right now. Not because they arent there

Edited by TeeBugg

deerpassion is close to you. Everyone scouts and looks for different signs and/or reads those signs different. Just because you might not have filled your tags does not mean you are doing anything wrong or scouting wrong. I will come and squirrel hunt with you in the spring, if no one else is available.

Edited by Paula
  • Like 4

I'm 23 and I've been hunting for 3 years now.  In that time I've killed 2 deer, 1 ML and 1 bow, predominantly through blind luck.  I'm the first hunter in my family so I attempted to teach myself which I've learned is not the most efficient way.  So I have a proposition:

Is there anyone who knows how to scout in the Western NY area who would be willing to take me out on a scouting trip for a day and show me what you're looking for, what you're seeing, why you're looking for it, etc.? I'm not looking for a hunting buddy or permission for land, or anything like that.  I'd just like (in the offseason) a hands-on crash course in scouting so I know when I don't kill deer in the future it's not because they're not there.  

I'd be willing to reimburse you with an equivalent amount of labor as instructional time.  I have a good attitude and a strong back so I can split wood, hang signs, move stands, trim lanes, whatever can help you out.   

Also, I know people are weary of strangers these days, and rightfully so given the number of thefts, trespassers, etc.  I'd be willing to meet up for lunch/coffee/beer beforehand to put anyone's mind at relative ease.  Again, no ulterior motives, I just don't want to stagger aimlessly through the woods anymore like a blind squirrel hoping to find a nut.

Wildcats160,

I doubt you suck at hunting.  Most folks that claim to be great hunters just have access to great hunting land.  At least this is the case in my part of the state.  Down here if you get permission on some estates or farms, you are guaranteed an 8pt or better every year.

However, maybe you have access to good land and just don’t have much luck, but 2 deer in 3 years isn’t bad.  Go to a few hunting shows and talk to some guides and sit through a few presentations if you want.  But like anything else, the more you do something the better you’ll get at it.

Good luck

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, it's not so much that I think I'm doing it wrong, it's that I don't even know what I'm looking for and if I did, I probably wouldn't know I found it when I did.  

And I know that 2 deer in three years is good but I can in no way attribute that to skill.  I got a button buck two years ago when a guy I work with took pity on me the last weekend of ML and put me on a trail on his friend's farm.  Then the next year I set up on tree with no real strategic planning, simply because it was easy in my climber, and a small 6 point happened to walk by so I arrowed him.  

Sometimes dumb luck is as good as skill but it would be nice to feel like I know what I'm doing.  

i admit i did chuckle at your thread title.

Don't assume you killed any deer by luck. Sure in the end, they do need to go by you, but you obviously put the stand or sat in the right spot and made the right shot. I will admit that 95% of my knowledge came from 2 generations of very good hunters. I was also put in proven stands etc. So I will equate your experience to the one I've had with turkey. No family local who turkey hunts so I self taught calling and hunting. The first 2 years I struck out. Not even a bird in shooting range. It was frustrating because it seemed that to a lot of people turkey was easier for them then deer, and for me it was the opposite. I connected this year on my first and it felt great. There is no moral of the story really, other than keep at it. A lot of new hunters would be happy with 2 the first 3 years. Even with my edge, I struck out my first year when I was 16 and had a few years between then and 14 years later where I blanked. It happens. Deer are hard to hunt, that's why it takes a special breed of person to do it. You can gain quite a bit of knowledge on scouting by reading some deer mags. Although I hope someone close to you takes you up on the offer. I'd do it for free if I was closer. love being in the woods.

• Like 1

That's a difficult request this time of year.  Third season in and having taken deer with a ML and a bow already isn't a failure.

Here are some great books to consider...

Strategies for Whitetails - Charles Alsheimer

Mapping Trophy Bucks - Brand Herndon

Precision Bowhunting - John Eberhart - (Video series is supposed to be great as well.)

• Like 1

Wildcats, It would definitely help you to attend our QDMA branch educational seminar in February. The subject matter is up your alley.

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/17589-save-the-date-feb-22-2014-winter-seminar-and-ne-reg-qdma-summit-rochester-ny/

Not too bad of a drive for you, as its located right off the thruway at the 390 Exit.

• Like 1

Time put in and the number of deer where you hunt are 2 of the biggest factor IMHO.

In your first 3 years you killed 2 and one with a bow! That's pretty darn good.

Most of what I learned came from time spent in the field. Deer movement during deer season is key to where my stands go.

• Like 2

Cheer up man. Things will change!

Here's a quick true story:

My Dad has hunted for 50+ years in NY for whitetails. In the 60's and 70's in the catskills he only killed 3 bucks in 19 years, they were the only 3 bucks he even saw in those 19 years. Each year he hunted 15-16 days out of the gun season.

He never gave up and since then has killed something like 22 bucks in the last 25 years.

This is where patients loses hunters...23yrs old, 3yrs hunting and 2 deer...but impatient about the knowledge he may or may not have...It takes time and a life time at that,,,there's always more to learn and the only way is to get out there and watch the deer...go squirrel , turkey or woodchuck hunting... feet to ground and invest in good optics

It took me 7 yrs before getting my first deer...I was taught by "drivers"...which taught me nothing...not until I got into bow and started hunting alone ...did I start seeing what I was looking at...when you see deer ...watch the nose and ears,,,check out the posture in the front shoulders and the tail...every movement they make tells you what will happen next...but you have to watch and tuck that into your memory bank...as far as finding them scout as soon as the last day closes and snow is on the ground...we're talking deer signs..not patterns...for that changes...Just relax and enjoy the journey...leave cramming for test mentality at school.... ;)

• Like 2

If G-man can't help you out, I'll be glad to do what I can. I'm just south of Rochester, so about an hour away give or take, but we can make it happen.

If we can line up ground, I'd even be willing to scout hot sign then hang/hunt or climb, depending on what equipment you have. Scouting isn't just an out-of-season thing.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Scouting is just the start,more things like entry and exit points are overlooked by new hunters,as is the ability for a deer to just know what the hell is up.A deers 6th sense has killed a hunt or 2 for me before.If you are not quiet in and out of the stand that will also put a hurting on you.Scent control is also a major part,but the wind is even more critical.I am pretty religious when it comes to scent control and will never hunt a area that I know is bad for a certain wind.Do you use trail cams?They are invaluable for scouting a area that you dont know much about.They really show you when the deer are there and what directions they are coming from,then throw on the boots and do some serious scouting.

Deer as i see it are somewhat creatures of habit. Well worn trails are an obvious sign. Areas where trails intersect and are filled with tracks are obviously a good place to setup. Big thing is figuring out when they are using said trails. Trailcams can help if your into that. But as grow stated boots to ground is a very good way to learn. Alot of people hunt only mornings or evenings, because notoriously thats when deer move the most. But dont underestimate the value of a mid day 10-2 hunt.

Wildcat,

I would be happy to take you out. I will be hunting at my Cabin in Steuben county the last week in October (27 October - 2 November). We have 2 small cabins and plenty of room if your interested. We got about 21 acres and there is about 2000 Acres of State Land within walking distance we can scout and walk around. Let me know if you would be available during that week and if you are interested. 

• Like 2

I will be hunting at my Cabin in Steuben county the last week in October (27 October - 2 November). We have 2 small cabins and plenty of room if your interested. We got about 21 acres and there is about 2000 Acres of State Land within walking distance we can scout and walk around.

Take him up on that!...ya can't beat Steuben for great deer hunting...and a chance at some bear scouting as well

I gotta say I can relate to you here. I struggled early on in my hunting, but I finally came to figure out it was the odd land layout and the wind more than my skills. I had a crash course in scouting from my brother and I was quickly hunting alone on property I had never set foot on before. I still hunted and scouted to find the basics, feeding areas, although the bedding areas took a lot longer (and some snow). I went years before I had finally gotten a mature buck on the land, and it wasn't til after I figured out that I couldn't cheat the prevailing winds. To avoid the wind I had to get permission from an adjacent land owner to walk through her land to get to an isolated patch of white oak a mile in on the land I originally hunted. I went 5 years without getting a good buck, and ever since I cheated the wind I have gotten nice bucks and been able to pass some up too. As MACHINIST said play the wind, boots to the ground in the off season. To start I'd find isolated food source you can get to without getting winded that has some sort of buck sign (old rubs, scrapes) and don't burn it out. I overcomplicated it big time before, still do but have success now. Just my own experience on a difficult piece of land. Best of luck and I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

3 years and 2 deer ? thats pretty good for a new hunter, it took me a lot longer than that to get my first deer. I think you need to slow down and enjoy the hunt, It's not so much the killing of a deer for me, it's just the preparing, planting food plots and spending time in the woods that makes me enjoy it so much, but it took me a long time to grow into that. Be patient and enjoy the view :-)

• Like 1

If G-man can't help you out, I'll be glad to do what I can. I'm just south of Rochester, so about an hour away give or take, but we can make it happen.

If we can line up ground, I'd even be willing to scout hot sign then hang/hunt or climb, depending on what equipment you have. Scouting isn't just an out-of-season thing.

Don't take phade up on his offer.  He is a slave driver.

Come scout with us in the off season.  To phade's credit, I killed my first deer from a blind spot suggested by phade.  And last night, he was kind enough to show up to "help me" gut and drag my doe after I already had her in the truck.  lol

Wildcats, It would definitely help you to attend our QDMA branch educational seminar in February. The subject matter is up your alley.

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/17589-save-the-date-feb-22-2014-winter-seminar-and-ne-reg-qdma-summit-rochester-ny/

Not too bad of a drive for you, as its located right off the thruway at the 390 Exit.

Does anyone know of any seminars like this in the Southern Tier? I live in the city and hunt up in Colombia county and would like to attend something like this?

Thanks a lot everyone in this thread.  I'm going to get back to the PM's this afternoon. 

1 thing to be clear though, I'm grateful for your kind words about my success so far and I'm in no way considering giving up hunting.  I enjoy every second I spend in the woods and realize I've gotten off to a better start than most.  I'm just realizing I missed out on something valuable by not having someone to learn from is all.  

Wildcats, you seem like an intelligent and educated person. I'm sure you will do just fine. You're off to a good start and many good people have stepped up to offer a hand. G-Man and phade seen to be great people, I'm sure you're in good hands.

We have a few misfits down here in the city that also recently started hunting, and happened to band together to share what little we know to cut that learning curve. It turned out to be a great experience of comradery(sp) that I've been missing since no one in my family really hunts as well.

If you're ever down by us in the city, we'd be glad to have you join us, anytime.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems