How do you instill confidence in yourself?

TeeBugg

My season hasn't been that great, I think I got myself too pumped up watching all these shows on tv of fields full of deer, where people "choose" what deer to shoot. Reality has sunken in and I understand if a deer was on trail cam a couple times, it may be a bit longer than I thought till I actually see it within range. Keep going out and you'll get lucky. It's just a waiting game.

• Like 1

Belo was right about taking some time, wash your clothes and spray everything down.  With the rut right around the corner, try a drag line, even some bleating, grunting, and maybe even rattle.  Sometimes it's the little things that pay big dividends.  I've hunted for 45 years, 9 years with a bow, haven't gottin one bow hunting yet, but I've had more fun, and great opportunities than if I didn't bow hunt. Seen a lot of big deer, learned patience, just one more step away from filling a tag. My son gets one just about every year and they've all been real nice.  It's tough when the "family" kids you "How many have YOU shot ?" and I tell em "The right buck just hasn't come along yet!!!"  And besides, it gets me out of the house every weekend till Xmas.  Here's what you do when you tired of listening to it - Take 2 Margaritas and call me in the morning.  Gun seasons right around the corner.  Best of luck and god bless.

there was a good article in D&DH about "waiting". Some guys are so serious they're only shooting 4.5 year olds and better. They may go several years between kills, and other hunters wonder "is he a good hunter, eating all that tag soup?". It's hard when you talk to friends, family or coworkers who are sharing their success. Parts of hunting have become pretty glamorized and that's kind of sad. You should only ever hunt for YOU. Good luck accman and TeeBug. When the first one comes it'll be sweet. Big, small, male or female.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

I know I'll get a shot, sooner or later, but it doesn't matter if I get one or not.  I'm hunting from October 1 to December 31st, every weekend just about.  How can I complain when I get out that much.  I do fairly well during rifle season, so bow season is the true test for me to see them, watch em, and learn from them. 

And besides, I get to help my ((*@#() son drag his out from bowhunting every year, so I've got that going for me!!! (LOL)

• Like 1