Coyote Help

crappyice

I just got a call from a friend of the family whose dog was just taken/eaten last night by coyotes from their backyard in Rockland. They live on a six acre mountainside with no neighbors in the vicinity and asked me to hunt these things. They have another dog and young children who play in the area where the dogs was taken from(they saw the dogs running around at night on the surveillance camera and then only one returned from off camera).

If its legal(I still want to check boundaries and local laws regarding hunting in this area since I do not normally hunt there), what's the approach?

I'm petty sure its bow, handgun, muzzleloader, shotgun only in Nyack (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/35010.html), It is!

HOWEVER, by DEC LAW an air rife is not a rifle and does not fall under this restriction, AND shouldn't fall under the discharge of fire arms ordinances since they are sold for backyards use outside of NYC. If the're eating pets and garbage they are getting use to humans and less wary. The silent (or pretty silent) solution for defending your property from yotes.

Git yerself a .22 or .30 caliber break barrel air rifle sight er in at 25 yards! Yeee haa!

I'm petty sure its bow, handgun, muzzleloader, shotgun only in Nyack (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/35010.html), It is!

HOWEVER, by DEC LAW an air rife is not a rifle and does not fall under this restriction, AND shouldn't fall under the discharge of fire arms ordinances since they are sold for backyards use outside of NYC. If the're eating pets and garbage they are getting use to humans and less wary. The silent (or pretty silent) solution for defending your property from yotes.

Git yerself a .22 or .30 caliber break barrel air rifle sight er in at 25 yards! Yeee haa!

This isn't entirely true. The reference you sited is only for hunting big game. As far as I know, only a few Counties ban the use of rifles for hunting, and that's LI, Westchester, and the entire NYC. Everywhere else, should allow the use of at least a rim fire, and some small center fires as of this year for small game.

In regards to air guns, I wouldn't ethically try to take a yote with anything less than 30fpe in anything less than a .22 cal. They'll also never give you a 25 yard shot. Best to go longer, 50 yards and up.

If you need a partner, I've got pretty much everything you need to get started, lights, calls, guns, etc. sorry to hear about the loss pet.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

i am a local in rockland, my gf has had coyotes & black bears dining in her backyard on the garbage cans in Pomona. To ward them off when she goes to put out the trash, I've given her my last seasons sailboat air horn cans. I will have to look up the rules of discharging an air rifle in rockland and it's various town laws as I have a .50 cal dragon claw air rifle I can use. If you need assistance I can also use my 60# compound bow.

• Like 1

You could contact the DEC office for the region or local law enforcement explain the situation they should be able to answer any questions. Good Luck!

IMO, this isn't a DEC question, but a local LE question. Need to know if the town allows discharge. Ask the town hall if anything. I know of a town in 3S that doesn't allow discharge at all, regardless of 500' rule.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Out a call in to the PD in orangetown - officer was cool and knowledgable. He even knew of no law that said it was illeal to use shotgun, but what will happen is we will shoot, they will get a call (maybe by HDad) and come out to check three things: legal license and weapon(will run serial #), legal season and private property. if all things are good, we should have no problem. He said to call the controller of codes(sounds like a Ray Bradbury character) to confirm no policy he is unaware of...crazy how even the PD don't know the laws

• Like 1

I am having a heck of a time finding anything on discharging anything in the county or any of its towns/villages. All I find are DEC hunting regulations. Sad to say, I would not ask any local leo as most likely have no idea or even give you a bum steer. Will probably have pop into the local village hall to see if they have any documentation.

• 3 weeks later...

Coyote season is more than just March. You should check the regs you're telling people to check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yes haven't you ever seen a yote during deer season? and took that piece of crap down?  if the season was march only these things would be friggin running rampant killing everything.

Yes haven't you ever seen a yote during deer season? and took that piece of crap down?  if the season was march only these things would be friggin running rampant killing everything.

Not looking to stir the pot on this but, piece of ???

How can we blame a coyote for being a coyote?

Coyotes have a natural way of balancing populations. If overpopulation occurs, then disease will take it's toll. Then when too many coyotes have perished the remaining ones will rear larger litters which will thrive due to having less competition.

I hunt coyotes and I love it. Sure we can't eat them, but the challenge that comes from hunting the hunters is what it's all about.

• Like 1

Not looking to stir the pot on this but, piece of ???

How can we blame a coyote for being a coyote?

Coyotes have a natural way of balancing populations. If overpopulation occurs, then disease will take it's toll. Then when too many coyotes have perished the remaining ones will rear larger litters which will thrive due to having less competition.

I hunt coyotes and I love it. Sure we can't eat them, but the challenge that comes from hunting the hunters is what it's all about.

I think the "piece of crap" is just a feeling when comparing to "our" animal of preference.

I think coyotes have helped balance the population as a whole, they have to, it's in there DNA. . Like you said they are being coyotes. But I think we are, as a whole, seeing more damage by coyotes to the deer we hunt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt them too and also enjoy doing it. But I do it for different reasons. They've gotten ahold of one of my dogs in the past and killed one of my mothers dogs a while back. So in my eyes they are pieces of crap. You refer to them with what you will. In my eyes they are just little pieces of crap, smart as they may be, who run around feasting on the efforts of other animals/people. Sure I know they indeed hunt and kill their own meal but we all know that given the choice one would much rather go to town on your downed deer and/or your domesticated house pet then put in the work to get their own meal.

Edited by dchunt

And in my original response, someone had said something about they're season only being in march. I was just pointing out that if that were the case, disease or no disease they would be overabundant in the outdoors. They are bad enough as it is now and the season is the better part of 6 months.

dchunt- I understand your reasoning for disliking coyotes. I too used to despise them for killing our family dog. I wasn't really aiming my response towards your comment, but more towards all the hatred of coyotes. 

As a hunter, I see any animal harvested as a trophy. All too often I hear of the relentless killing of coyotes that are left to rot in the field then the hunter receives praise for ridding the world of another "scourge of the woods".

If I were to guess, I'd say that more deer get wounded by hunters and go unrecovered to waste away in some thicket than are killed by coyotes whose diet consists of 40% plant/vegetable. Were talking healthy deer here not the sick, wounded, or fawns because most deer hunters won't shoot those. The sick or wounded ones probably wouldn't  make it through to next deer season anyways. My point here is that humans are the primary killers of healthy adult deer, whether it be through hunting or deer/vehicle collisions.

Controlling the coyote population is unlikely.

In this article that was put out 8 days ago by the Lehigh Valley(PA) news that is titled Climbing Pennsylvania coyote complaints trigger call for bounty.  Lawmaker wants $25-a-head bounty on the cagey critters.  a biologist with the northern branch of the game commission says, "To have an effect, hunters would have to wipe out 70 percent of the coyote population, Wenner said. Otherwise, faced with a blow to their population, the animal would simply start reproducing at a faster rate to keep up with the food supply.

In other words, more coyote hunting creates more coyote love. And that means more little coyotes.

That is in Pennsylvania and they have a 365 day hunting season for coyotes.
Here's the link to the article.

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/mc-pa-coyote-complaints-bounty-20131122,0,3188086.story