snap shooting,rushing the shot

bob

I also like to practice after a lot of physical activity (lawm mowing, chopping wood) to reproduce the fatigue of hunting hard in the cold coupled with the high heart rate of deer fever.

I do this especially in the late summer early fall when i start reducing shooting to 1-3 arrows a day.

Edited by Meat Manager

just curious... the "rush shot" your talking about, do you feel like when the pin cross through or pass over where your aiming do you get this urgency to release right away??

without taking your time and settling in on the target i mean. when the pin hovers over your bulls eye or area where you want to hit the deer does you mind instantly tell you to pull the trigger?

does the bow feel heavy and not comfortable? when the pins passes low on the target does it take alot to bring the bow back up?

Bingo.............

Great topic and one of the most important when it comes to harvesting a deer cleanly with a bow. I have rushed shots and think it's something all archers have to deal with. There is a lot of preparation and not something to take lightly. Missing a nice buck will drive that point home painfully.

Practicing on a deer target and simulating realistic in the field conditions as close as possible helps. I have a Glen Dell right out my back door so I like to walk out and take just 1 shot. Before the shot I tell myself "this is a giant buck that just walked out". I have 1 shot, pick a spot, call the shot, make it good.  I'll do this from different yardage, angles, off my roof ect. During the season is one of the most important times to keep shooting daily, and with hunting cloths on. In the stand I like to draw the bow at the varying angles that may present it a shot. During the moment of truth I concentrate on the spot I want to hit, executing a good shot at the right time.  Practice and mental preparation are things we all should be constantly working on to maximize clean kills and success in the field.

I think the best advice I have seen here is take the first doe you see. Get one under your belt before that targeted deer shows up.

Are you just going after the targeted deer or are you shooting does as well? couldn't tell from your post.

Somthing that I fall short on is practicing during the season. I always intend to but I never seem to make it work out. Ithink even if you just get and arrow or two a day it would help.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club