Canning Venison?

RemingtonChevy

Today I canned for the first time! Last week I got a 16qt unit from Walmart. My father had some quart jars so I did 5 of them up, boy that takes afair amount of meat to fill them! Exactly what I was looking for, an alternative to my regular routine.

Them smell that came out of it as it cooked away was awesome. Tonight I went and bought a case of Mason pint jars and they'll get some action tomorrow as I have a doe from PA to get taken care of.

Can't wait to dive into it!

Awesome. About 1. To 3/4" of head space on the jars

• 2 weeks later...

The spoils of my labor and guidance from you guys here.............

I did a second batch and a few jars were handed out as gifts to a couple friends.  The current tally is as shown:

IMG_5195_zps8657e2ab.jpg

Fine, fine grub that won't spoil in the event of a freezer failure that goes undetected!!

• 3 weeks later...

No matter what one plans to can, the actual process itself isn't very difficult. The threads listed above will be more than enough to help you learn what you need to know in order to can venison. The worst part of the whole process is in finding enough cans and taking the time to do it all. I would imagine that it would last as long as anything else that is canned. Most canned foods can last for years before they will need to be thrown away. This was the reason why it was such a popular activity 50 years ago. There was a time that we had to rely on processes such as drying and canning food in order to preserve it for as long as possible. Now we have the advantages that technology has to offer.