Canning Venison?

RemingtonChevy

Hi I'm pretty new to hunting and was wondering if anyone has experience canning venison meat.  I want to do this but was wondering how long venison can last if canned, what do you use, how do you do it, etc.  I know there are probably some sites on line but was just wondering if anyone has experience doing this....thanks !

Just a hot water bath canner? for meat? The temps can't get high enough to kill all the little critters running around in there.  At 10psi the temp inthe canner is around 235. You can't get over 211 in a water bath.

I have also heard of of guys doing them on a cookie sheet inthe oven and canning applesauce by just pouring the boiling sauce in and putting the covers on without boiling. To me when you are dealing with stuff that can really mess you up like canning and reloading, I will error onthe side of the book. lol. Not a fan of bowing to the porcelin god

Yep, they do it just like when they can tomatoes. Don't know the specifics, as to how long they let it boil or anything. Maybe those extra "critters" just make you stronger? LOL

Had some tonight. Was awesome. Canned pint jars with a quarter of a small onion. A Clive of hot garlic(home grown). A half tsp of canning salt and a half tsp of crushed red pepper. Raw pack and canned for 75 minutes

I just bought a book on making sausage.  After reading it it sounds like a real pain in the azz.  Maybe the author is just being cautious but man does it seem like a time eater...........Canning sounds like it might be up my alley?

I'll check out the unit CHC is using.  Any other suggestions to canners?

Had some tonight. Was awesome. Canned pint jars with a quarter of a small onion. A Clive of hot garlic(home grown). A half tsp of canning salt and a half tsp of crushed red pepper. Raw pack and canned for 75 minutes

Falling apart and tender as hell too isn't it? Tastes like roast beef! I still have 6 pints left from last year. Now after you got my thinking about it, I'll have to crack one open tonight for dinner!

• 2 weeks later...

after putting the chunks of meat in the jar, do you add liquid to cover the meat?

Yes you add water, plus with a knife you slide it down along the side of jar working the air out, add a spoon of canning salt , a clove of garlic is optional.  wipe  off the jar lip place canning lid on and screw ring tight. Place jars in pressure canner add enough tap water to canner to come up around jars about 3 or 4 inches. Lock lid on canner ,turn burner on high , set to 10 psi , when the jiggler starts popping I let go for 90 minutes. Turn off burner but do not remove the canner lid until the unit is cold , the jars can crack plus the steam will burn you. Then check to see if each jar is sealed , will keep for a long time unless seal leaks.

• Like 1

Yes you add water, plus with a knife you slide it down along the side of jar working the air out, add a spoon of canning salt , a clove of garlic is optional. wipe off the jar lip place canning lid on and screw ring tight. Place jars in pressure canner add enough tap water to canner to come up around jars about 3 or 4 inches. Lock lid on canner ,turn burner on high , set to 10 psi , when the jiggler starts popping I let go for 90 minutes. Turn off burner but do not remove the canner lid until the unit is cold , the jars can crack plus the steam will burn you. Then check to see if each jar is sealed , will keep for a long time unless seal leaks.

i

I have seen recipes that say to add liquid but that was for hot packing. Cold pack does not require additional fluid. The meat makes its own.

Would add one thing. Once the steams starts to come out of the pressure canner it should vent steam for 10 minutes. Then as the weight and for pints it is 75 minutes. For quarts it is 90 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

i

I have seen recipes that say to add liquid but that was for hot packing. Cold pack does not require additional fluid. The meat makes its own.

Would add one thing. Once the steams starts to come out of the pressure canner it should vent steam for 10 minutes. Then as the weight and for pints it is 75 minutes. For quarts it is 90 minutes.

Agree I cold pack and no water needed. And if you do not let steamer decompress on it's' own and open the cover early juice will leak out of the jars leaving them with low liquid levels.

Anyone added anything other than onions, garlic, salt, or pepper for added flavor? I have some meat to can and thought I'd like to try something different. I have quite a few wild leeks that I froze this past spring, that I thought I'd add to a few jars, to test out.

BTW, ground horseradish tastes GREAT with canned venison!

Anyone added anything other than onions, garlic, salt, or pepper for added flavor? I have some meat to can and thought I'd like to try something different. I have quite a few wild leeks that I froze this past spring, that I thought I'd add to a few jars, to test out.

BTW, ground horseradish tastes GREAT with canned venison!

I bet you can do just anything you want. I have a recipe for canning stew so as long as it doesn't make it thick like a heavy gravy you should be fine. They said a thick gravy like sauce was a no no. Add thickener once can is opened to use. I use instant mashed potatoes rather than flour.

I bet leeks would be great. Hot peppers. Horseradish. Wasabi powder.

Today I canned for the first time! Last week I got a 16qt unit from Walmart. My father had some quart jars so I did 5 of them up, boy that takes afair amount of meat to fill them! Exactly what I was looking for, an alternative to my regular routine.

Them smell that came out of it as it cooked away was awesome. Tonight I went and bought a case of Mason pint jars and they'll get some action tomorrow as I have a doe from PA to get taken care of.

Can't wait to dive into it!