my observations of the past week

bubba

Ok as some of you may know I got a nice 8 point saturday mornign in the northern zone.  I was able to call him in with a bleat can and he was hot to trot. Anyway for the past week or so, I have not seen any deer out feeding while driving around for my job.  I do 100 to 200 miles a day. Anyway today, I saw does all over feeding.  Anyway as some of you know, during the peak rut, the does head to the woods and hunker down and the bucks stay near them waiting.  So I would have to believe that the first round of the rut is pretty much over.  In about 25 days, it will go again. Just my personal opinion. 

Just because there is still activity does not mean the does are still ready to breed.  The bucks will stilll persue them as long as there is a chance. My point was now that does are being seen a lot more, they are not ready to breed.  It is still a great time to be out there. 

Things are just starting to kick up here, I personally haven't seen anything but everyone I talk to have been having luck with the bleat and estrus, last couple weeks were the opposite, bucks had no interest. I think this cold snap has stocked things up a bit. This weekend may be a good one for me as I am putting in a weekender at camp in the ADK's