Hunter safety

First-light

We do not teach thr laws or marksmanship. It is called the.hunters safety class for a reason. Not the hunters legal or marksman class. You are asking a lot from volunteer instructors when a class is minimal 10 hours now.

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

yup, it's pretty bad when most guys don't even bother to look at the regulation guide every year..........I wonder how many improperly tagged deer slip through the cracks every year.........hunter safety really never changes, but the regulations can change on a yearly basis, so it's everyone's own responsibility to keep up to date.

What they should do is make it part of the punishment when some yahoo  Shoots another hunter...or even himself...go to a certain number of safety courses and talk about what happens when you don't follow simple basic safety protocol

I had the same exact thought, they do it all the time with drunk drivers as part of their punishment...........and it can be done very easily if they film it and play it as part of the course.

Your smoking rule reminded me of something I hadn't thought of for a long time.  We had a camp on the top of a mountain by Margretville that was off-grid. We had a kerosine stove for heat that worked by the oil simply dripping into two steel cylinders and burning inside the stove. They both had steel tops pressed on.  The way you lit it was to open a door on the cylinders, turn on the valve, light a piece of newspaper, insert paper, close glass door and make sure the fuel caught fire and was burning.

Well, we're sitting at the table (about 3 feet from the stove) playing cards and a guy lit the stove, only he didn't make sure it lit and then put another piece of lit paper in. Well, the cylinders had been accumulating fuel and suddenly caught. The smoke and stink were pretty bad.  I said to an older guy sitting beside the stove in a chair: "Pop, you ever seen one of these things blow up?"  He said "naw, they don't blow, but if it's going to, I'll whistle." 

He no sooner got the words out of his mouth and Ka-F-ING-BOOM. Well, 7 guys all tried to fit through one door at the same time. Why no one went for the other door is still a mystery.   It went up with so much pressure that the press fit lids were actually blown off of the cylinders.  Other than that, all was well thank heaven.  Well, there were probably some pairs of underware that bit the dust but I can't say for sure. 

I would of loved to have seen the flame that shot into the air from the stove pipe!

at our old camp in the adirondacks we had a similar stove.  You opened a piece on the front to light it.  Well my buddy lit it he thought it lit and closed the front after.  After a couple minutes nothing happened.  He open the front piece again and the oxygen hit the smoldering paper towel and poof it blew also.  The flames shot out the hole in the front about 3 feet.  We got it closed back up.  the pipes got cherry red before it settled down. I was scared to death as we were about a mile back in and no access for the fire dept which was 45 minutes away anyway  Luckily it settled down.  The black smoke rolled out of the chimney for 20 minutes or so.  After that my dad decided a wood stove was a good idea.

lol - sounds like the same kind of stove.  And those cylinders can turn cherry red and still be ok... lol - yeah we were about a mile off the road as well. The guy who owned the place previously had to plow the driveway with a bulldozer or we'd of never made it up the mountain.  Orville was his name, had been the Mayor of Margretville for ever, but that's no nevermind.  Sure some scary chit when they blow though.   lol