1 tag left

Meat Manager

Let's be honest with ourselves here. None of you are thinking about car accidents when you're out hunting deer.

A show of hands. Which one of you was sitting at home, relaxing on your couch, and thinking about how perfect the world is when all of a sudden the news comes on. Car hits deer, swerves into traffic, causes a three car pile-up. And you jumped out of your couch. Pumped your fist and scream. "I don't like to hunt but this is the last straw! I will raise war against these deer for the good of man kind! I will now take up hunting to ensure the safety of all Cadillacs in Ah-merica"?

If Civil Engineers designed elevated roads or if Mechanical Engineers designed cars that can hover and thus eliminate all accidents that resulted from deer, how many of you will put your bows and guns away, dust your hands, and say "Well, my job here is done. Now I will sit back on the couch and think the world is perfect once again."?

We all hunt here because we enjoy the hunt. Let's not kid ourselves. Sure, there are all these extra side benefits that result from our hunting but that's not why we do it. We do it for our own selfish reasons. Let's just admit it. It's how you hunt that's the moral question and only you can answer that for yourself.

Calling a spade a spade? That's unheard of! Haha

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Extreme because a hunter screwed up and wants a second chance? Or extreme because the hunter probably didn't practice enough to respect the game?

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

this is the guy who bragged about massacring deer with red tags off season...yet never posted a live from the stand or harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Never heard of a wounded deer walking right back to were the wound-er shot it. Now THAT's extreme!

If such an anomaly should happen, then you can explain to the DEC officer that you had to put the poor animal out of its misery, I'm sure he/she would understand.

http://facebook.com/...LightingSystems

How long have you hunted? Ive seen and heard it happen many times. Probably wont be the same day...but it happens. Its not an anomaly.

I'm not gonna engage the king of all trolls red tag meat wasting threadjacker...

but I'll remind everyone else I harvested all my animals fair chase and have given nearly half the meat to my grandad, dad, and uncle who have been dealing with family health issues and too busy to harvest their own 4 or 5 deer between them that the whole family uses.

Edited by Meat Manager

How long have you hunted? Ive seen and heard it happen many times. Probably wont be the same day...but it happens. Its not an anomaly.

So a deer you've shot, and injured will give you a second chance? And of course you can positively ID said deer that it was indeed your doing. I'll call BS on that.

So a deer you've shot, and injured will give you a second chance? And of course you can positively ID said deer that it was indeed your doing. I'll call BS on that.

Call bs all you want. When you hunt small tracts of property...im sure youll see the same deer more than once.

I'm not gonna engage the king of all trolls red tag meat wasting threadjacker...

but I'll remind everyone else I harvested all my animals fair chase and have given nearly half the meat to my grandad, dad, and uncle who have been dealing with family health issues and too busy to harvest their own 4 or 5 deer between them that the whole family uses.

Probably best you do that. IMO, if you injure a deer, be it a branch got in your way, or the deer "jumped the string", the hunter should take responsibility to first and foremost, find the animal, and if unable to tag it, burn such tag. Go home, and reflect back on how you can better yourself as a hunter for your next tag/season. That's what I would call a responsible hunter.

Probably best you do that. IMO, if you injure a deer, be it a branch got in your way, or the deer "jumped the string", the hunter should take responsibility to first and foremost, find the animal, and if unable to tag it, burn such tag. Go home, and reflect back on how you can better yourself as a hunter for your next tag/season. That's what I would call a responsible hunter.

Ok. Thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

My parents just braved the storm to get up here for from PA for thanksgiving.

My grandad had mounted my archery buck for me and gave it to my folks to bring up. He does all the families except for the few shoulder mounts. post-1622-13855029978357_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13855030396578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 4

I understand that. I'm by no means new to this hunting stuff and what my purpose is out there. I'm struggling with typing this in my most civil tone possible, so if anyone takes offence, it's either unintentional or you have a guilty conscence for some reason,lol

For one guy to take 6 antlerless deer this year, kinda puts him at least 12 deer behind the 8 ball heading into next year already.

If you take a look around the site, there's no shortage of posts here about decreased deer #'s.., and fewer than usual sightings..., and it's so quiet out there this season. Heck Meat Manager himself has been involved in many of those posts. What do you expect we're gonna be reading about the same time next season if we kill every deer that shows us it's vitals. That's just not good sound management no matter if you're a meat hunter, a trophy hunter, or even one of those guys in between who supports AR's and has big dreams!

I'm no biologist, but lets get real here people. If your not seeing the deer on your property like you used to, you might do good to give a few of them a pass to replenish what you've already taken instead of starting in a hole for 2014. All the food plots and land management you can come up with in the off season wont make a shit bit of difference if you don't have any deer left to benefit from it.

We've also seen the quite a few topics about how DEC issues more antlerless tags in certain areas than they should. Some will say this is due to their innaccurate method of calculating deer populations over smaller areas instead of a broader assumption over a WMU.

You guys that are out there every day know what's going on in your particular woods better than anyone else and need to recognise and adjust your harvest goals accordingly.... not just shoot 'em up because you can. As always JMO!

5 antler-less, 1 mid-aged antlered.

In participating in the lack of sightings threads I have never associated that with a small herd...I tend to believe the deer ecologists and wildlife biologist who say we live a state of deer overpopulation.

I also have plenty of evidence of lots of thriving nocturnal deer everywhere I hunt, and my harvest numbers have never gone down in the 6 years I've been hunting ny.

I actually believe that shooting the breeders is the only way to assert population control...and as this and other threads illustrate many hunters refuse to kill breeders...even after they deprive some other hunter of the tags.

So I fundamentally disagree with the notion that a single hunter is depleting the forest of deer.

Study qdma and you will see shooting does early and often in order to balance the herd and protecting yearling bucks results in bigger better deer in every age category.

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

I've got 8 tags to fill and the wife's got 4. I intend to fill as many of those as possible. The first 3 go in my freezer. #4 goes in my sisters freezer. #5 is given to my brother in law. #6 goes to my mother in law. #7 goes to my dad if.he hasn't tagged one. #8 gets made into snack sticks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

My family and I eat 5 deer by june every year. I shoot doe. i have never shot a buck. Won't shoot buttons, yearling does. I pass on many bucks. Just out there to eat or possibly get a monster. i take my 6 legal does from 4 different areas and spot up to 19 a day during archery in 2 of the areas in 2 of these locations w 0 buck sightings being included in the 19. See way to many doe wasted on the road where i hunt all year. Better to feed my family the best meat in the world then see it wasted. 

I hunt for me and my family( not to reduce accidents)and would even if cars didn't hit them. I could shoot 7 legal doe but only take 6 and they are back in droves every year.