Learning to shoot

dgever

I would like to get into hunting, which means I need to learn how to safely and acurately operate a firearm. I live in Brooklyn with a car and have zero experience with guns. Does anyone know of a nearby range that rents rifles and shotguns? What courses would be worthwile to take?

I have already taken the hunters education course.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

Try these guys. I think they rent long guns and give basic instruction. The place is kind of rundown but at least you can shoot with some instruction

http://www.lisc.net/p332.htm

There is a nice public outdoor range near the Long Island Shooting Center one you are confident with whatever you purchase.

Then check out the Nassau county shooting range in Uniondale (by Hofstra). They don't rent firearms but they give firearms classes there once you buy a firearm. Nassau county's range is open to non-county residents and it is a nice range.

Any firearm training you can get always helps, especially in the use of whatever you buy. I am a fan of bolt action rifles, very simple... bolt is open rife is safe. But most important rule to burn into your brain. Treat every firearm as "IF IT IS LOADED". Even after you unload it and check it, "TREAT IT AS IT IS LOADED". Always pointed in a safe direction.

• Like 1

Seems like you are being already pointed in the right direction.

As to general safety, not one safety precaution/handing procedure can be overlooked. It takes just one or a series of multiple "mishaps" to turn into serious consequence.

Through the Army there is three things that you must ALWAYS pay attention to. That is

1)trigger finger: make sure that you alway keep you finger not only off the trigger, but away from the trigger guard so you never "accidentally" hit it.

2)muzzle awareness: never point your firearm at anything you don't intent to shoot at. This includes becoming complacent and leaning the rifle against your body, you'd never think someone would use the end of their barrel as a place to rest their head, but complacency happens and there are graves made because of this.

3)safety: make sure your firearm is always on "safe" for obvious reasons. I am frequently checking this especially in the woods as a twig or you might just knock it off safe on accident.

Best of luck and I hope you find a place to go and eventually end up being able to hunt!

• Like 1

http://www.shoreshotpistolrange.com/

Located in Central Jersey.  Has all kinds of stuff.

http://westsidepistolrange.com/

This one is located in Manhattan.  Only 22LRs and handgun rounds though.  Does offer classes.

There's also the Firing Line in Pearl River, NY.  They rent (I believe only 22LRs) but I don't think they offer classes.  Not a fan of the place.  Looks run down and it's only a 50 yard range.

Shoot some trap and skeet over by Thunder Mountain. It's right by the border of NY and NJ, and they are great there.

If you want some experience with rifles and pistols, no better to start with than a .22 LR. If I had one, I'd let you shoot mine. If you ever do purchase a rifle or shotgun, the guys over at the small bore at Blue Mountain Sportsman Center is top notch. They'll spend the time with you to make sure you're safe. No additional charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies.

Went to Thunder Mountain today; and did much better than expected, was hitting 4 out of 5 clays. I'll definitly be back for more practice. It looks like Westside Pistol&Rifle is the place to go for a .22, so thats my next stop.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

Went to Thunder Mountain today; and did much better than expected, was hitting 4 out of 5 clays. I'll definitly be back for more practice. It looks like Westside Pistol&Rifle is the place to go for a .22, so thats my next stop.

Love that old lady that runs the show there. Don't be fooled, she's won some world championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk