Partrigdge Run Grouse Hunt

Rookie

Hey all, I am looking to head over to the Partridge Run WMA this coming week to do a little grouse/woodcock/rabbit hunting. Does anyone have any good tips in terms of a good location to start? This WMA is pretty big so having an area to concentrate in would be a BIG help. Not looking to steal anyone's "secret" spot, just looking for some guidance.

Oh and this is my first time grouse hunting sooo any tips are welcome!! Thanks!

You might want to check and see if woodcock is still open , if your hunting in NY.

I don't believe it is .

Its not open and the majority of woodcock have migrated out ,. When the season is open, you also need to make a quick phone call and register in HIP to hunt them. Before next season you report your harvest by calling the same number and that would register you again for the upcoming season. You need to write down the registration number you are assigned and carry it with your license, your license - not your back tag... Always check your bird's legs for bands and report banded birds to the USFWS by phone or on their website.

I've been Grouse hunting there for 20 years. They are there, but you will have to work for them. There are also old apple orchards and forest regeneration areas that have been developed between the DEC and the Ruffed Grouse Society, I usually find grouse in these second growth aspen stands. I