.243 Winchester Hand Loading Thead

shawnhu

Nope, Bubba did NOT complain about the crappy looking cases I swapped him.

In fact, as I remember it, we had a couple of chuckles regarding the fact via PM...<<grin>>..

Sorry, Bubba, if you got the impression that I said you complained.

It depends how the OAL is measured, base of shell to the tip of the bullet normally is 2.709" - 2.710". That is for a factory chamber There are some tools that use a device that simulates the bore in the chamber and measures where the bullet contacts that hole.It also could depend on the reamer that was used to make the chamber. As custom sized,tight necked ect.

My <old> Hornady manual does not list a load for H380 and the 100 grain bullet.

This from my <old> Hodgdon Book

36.0 2814 fps 44,000 CUP 38.0 2940 fps 50,500 CUP

From the Hornady web site.................................

100 GR. SPR BTSP Hodgdon H380 .243" 2.650" 34.0 2639 43,600 CUP 36.0 2770 50,100 CUP

They have the OAL at 2.650" Of course that is THEIR suggested OAL......................he might have checked the depth to the lands and determined that 2.686" was a good starting point??

DON'T FORGET YOUR EYE AND EAR PROTECTION!!!

I did check the seating depth, and determined it the COAL to be the above using the seating depth. It's sitting right on the lands.

At 2.650, I would imagine its .036 off the lands.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I prefer not to contact the lands...If the bullet is pressed into the lands a little too tightly, pressure spikes may occur.

I'd back off the lands .010" or so for starters. You can always adjust seating depth later, if you want.

If groups aren't as good as you like, first try increasing and decreasing the powder charge to see if there is a trend toward better groups.

Fiddling with seating depths is something I do AFTER I have found a promising load and am trying to fine tune it.

Some bullets actually PREFER a jump before they contact the rifling. Barnes X type bullets are noted for that. I have seen as much as .050" recommend ..

I prefer not to contact the lands...If the bullet is pressed into the lands a little too tightly, pressure spikes may occur.

I'd back off the lands .010" or so for starters. You can always adjust seating depth later, if you want.

If groups aren't as good as you like, first try increasing and decreasing the powder charge to see if there is a trend toward better groups.

Fiddling with seating depths is something I do AFTER I have found a promising load and am trying to fine tune it.

Some bullets actually PREFER a jump before they contact the rifling. Barnes X type bullets are noted for that. I have seen as much as .050" recommend ..

I'll have to push it back a little then, thanks!

I also loaded three with a 35.5gr charge just to see where the trend is headed.

From the Hornady web site.................................

100 GR. SPR BTSP Hodgdon H380 .243" 2.650" 34.0 2639 43,600 CUP 36.0 2770 50,100 CUP

They have the OAL at 2.650" Of course that is THEIR suggested OAL......................he might have checked the depth to the lands and determined that 2.686" was a good starting point??

DON'T FORGET YOUR EYE AND EAR PROTECTION!!!

Do you have a link to Hornady's load data?

Ended up not going to the range, so I loaded up some more rounds.

Nosler 55gr BT Varmint with H380 46, 47, 50, and 51 gr @ 2.650" COAL.

Nosler 90gr AccuBond with H4350 42.5, 43.5, and 44.5 gr @ 2.680" COAL. Also applied a factory crimp on these.

Adjusted the Hornady 100gr InterLock to 2.650" COAL.

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

LOL, that's all?

The funny thing is you're looking to ME for web help? :O

:biggrin:

I combined the 72 pages on both sides of the page, then shrank 2 pages down to one, so 13 sheets now in my 1" binder.

I was looking hard for a Hornady version of the Nosler load data, but couldn't find any.

Nosler claims their 55gr H380 max load is much higher than Hodgdon's, will need to figure out if I need to go that high.

In regards to primers, I have Federal, Winchester and Remington. Any difference in terms of interchangeability between them?

If you change the priming component, I would recommend going back to the starting load for a given powder/bullet combo as you COULD see an increase in pressure.  Be careful.......once again, pick one primer and don't sweat the rest, for now. 

Do you have access to a chronograph?  That and bolt lift tension & spent primers will help to reveal pressure problems.

I settled on CCI primers a long time ago.  I even shot their BR primers for a while but figured that was a waste of money in my case.

As far as I know, Hornady, as well as Speer, Sierra and Nosler only give data on thier own bullets. At least that's the way it used to be .

It is not uncommon for max loads of powder to vary as much as several grains between various loading manuals..

I have never experimented much with different primers. Mostly I have used WLR. I have read from some "experts" in the gun rags that the primer generally is the LEAST likely component to make a significant difference in loads, at least less so than powder choice or bullet choice.

Keep in mind that my loading has been for practical hunting accuracy, not bench rest results where fractions of an inch in group size might make a difference.

It appears that you are already having FUN with your reloading, and you haven't even busted a cap yet..<<grin>>...

If you change the priming component, I would recommend going back to the starting load for a given powder/bullet combo as you COULD see an increase in pressure. Be careful.......once again, pick one primer and don't sweat the rest, for now.

Do you have access to a chronograph? That and bolt lift tension & spent primers will help to reveal pressure problems.

I settled on CCI primers a long time ago. I even shot their BR primers for a while but figured that was a waste of money in my case.

I've got a Shooting Chrony, but the range is covered. I'll have to get it beyond the covered benches to get it to work on natural lighting.

I've stuck with Federal for now, but have other primers as backup.

As far as I know, Hornady, as well as Speer, Sierra and Nosler only give data on thier own bullets. At least that's the way it used to be .

It is not uncommon for max loads of powder to vary as much as several grains between various loading manuals..

I have never experimented much with different primers. Mostly I have used WLR. I have read from some "experts" in the gun rags that the primer generally is the LEAST likely component to make a significant difference in loads, at least less so than powder choice or bullet choice.

Keep in mind that my loading has been for practical hunting accuracy, not bench rest results where fractions of an inch in group size might make a difference.

It appears that you are already having FUN with your reloading, and you haven't even busted a cap yet..<>...

Heh, it's one of my only "indoor hobbies" as my others require me to be outdoors. There's the planted aquariums, but they don't require much attention anymore.

If I don't get out to "bust a cap" soon, I may end up ordering up more bullets and powder in anticipation for poor groups.

I'm not looking to win any bench rest contests, but if I'm going to hit a deer's eye from 700 yards, I better work up a good load!

Thinking of what other load combinations I want to have in my 50rd ammo box when I hit the range.

I've got a Shooting Chrony, but the range is covered.

This is an interesting alternative to a normal optical sensor chronograph...............................

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I have a CED M2 and if the lighting isn't perfect it'll miss a shot or four.  I have read where the Magnetospeed V1 never misses a reading and that can save a lot of frustration if you're looking to get the FPS and only have 3 loaded rounds at a given powder charge.  A missed reading or two can make for a aggravating day.  Especially if you have to travel any distance to the range.

My CED M2 might go down the road.................................................

This is an interesting alternative to a normal optical sensor chronograph...............................

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I have a CED M2 and if the lighting isn't perfect it'll miss a shot or four. I have read where the Magnetospeed V1 never misses a reading and that can save a lot of frustration if you're looking to get the FPS and only have 3 loaded rounds at a given powder charge. A missed reading or two can make for a aggravating day. Especially if you have to travel any distance to the range.

My CED M2 might go down the road.................................................

I've read up on those chronographs. A problem with them is that they may affect the POI and groups due to being attached to the muzzle end. I can make artificial lighting for my current Chrony using LED's on the sun shades, but haven't found the need to yet. This far, it's been used for my 10 cent per shot air guns. These being 10 times as much, and a much further drive than my local setups, I may need to look into LED lighting.

I've read up on those chronographs. A problem with them is that they may affect the POI and groups due to being attached to the muzzle end. I can make artificial lighting for my current Chrony using LED's on the sun shades, but haven't found the need to yet. This far, it's been used for my 10 cent per shot air guns. These being 10 times as much, and a much further drive than my local setups, I may need to look into LED lighting.

I am aware of the POI change and that isn't a deal breaker for me.  When I'm checking for velocity I could let the group size or location of impact suffer.

I've only shot my CED screens once.................grin.  Just a little chip out of one side!!  I was concentrating on a group and the slight puff of wind moved the arm holding the screens just a smidgen. :angry:

I am aware of the POI change and that isn't a deal breaker for me. When I'm checking for velocity I could let the group size or location of impact suffer.

I've only shot my CED screens once.................grin. Just a little chip out of one side!! I was concentrating on a group and the slight puff of wind moved the arm holding the screens just a smidgen. :angry:

If I can help it, it would make economical sense to try to get the velocity and groups at the same time. I don't imagine I'll have that much time to chrono every shot at the range, so I may end up reading pressure signs on the primers and cases as well as bolt lift.

I don't get the whole Chrono thing. The manual is going to give you an approximation of the velocities you will get. As hunters as long as we are  putting a round down range with adequate killing power and doing it accurately, why would we care how fast it gets there? lol

I see your point Culver..The end result at the target should tell you what you need to know. Generally accurate loads are consistent loads, without a big variation of velocity from shot to shot.

The chrono is just another tool in developing consistent loads. It also CAN warn of increasing pressures. If velocities are significantly ABOVE what is listed in the manual, it CAN indicate high pressures, even if it is not evident by reading primers, sticky bolt, etc.

I don't get the whole Chrono thing. The manual is going to give you an approximation of the velocities you will get. As hunters as long as we are  putting a round down range with adequate killing power and doing it accurately, why would we care how fast it gets there? lol

I like to know the velocity of my loads when working with a new gun or bullet/powder.  Once I know I've got good velocity with safe pressure, then I can tweak things safely.  The published velocities that you see buy the powder manufacturers are from their proof guns and the barrels on them are usually longer than any barrel I'll ever use.

Once I have the velocity I can run a drop chart for that gun's turrets.  I can't guarantee I'm going to hit a woodchuck at 400yds+ but I'll scare the crap out of him............. B)

Knowing beats guessing every time..........

IMG_2858.jpg

Another use for a chronograph is for archery although a really pisses your friends off when they see how slow their (and my) bows really are!!

• Like 1