PRIMOS DPS

88GW

I bought a Primos DPS which is essentially a plot watcher at Dicks for $35.00 on sale.  I had it set-up to take a photo every 5 seconds and all pictures are taken 1/2 hr before sunrise and 1/2hr after sunset.  After 5 days my 8GB card was close to full and cheap AA batteries had a 1/4 charge left.  The software given to you is a bit clunky, slow to start, play etc but once up and running it is like watching freeze frame photography at whatever speed you choose.  I was able to pick up where deer were walking from and to  so I can get a better idea of where I may hunt next year.  I plan on getting it back out in the woods soon in a new spot and see what kind of action I get in that area. 

Overall for the money I think it is definitely worth it. 

The shots I got were approximately a hundred yards on the edge of a thick area.  At that distance the deer appeared relatively small .  I was able to determine whether they were buck or doe and watch them stop to go the bathroom.  Zooming in on the image was not effective at this distance due to the whopping 1.3 megapixels. 

I feel this is definitely not a replacement for a good trail cam but cheaply serves the purpose to help identify travel corridors during daylight hours. 

link to a professional review

www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=223

Edited by 88GW

I have one too. I found if it is set at 5 seconds you will spend days looking for a deer in a picture. I have mine for either 10 or 15 seconds. After all, at 5 sec intervals, when you do have pictures of deer it's usually in 3 picture groups (from my experience). So therefore I use 15 seconds.

I have one too. I found if it is set at 5 seconds you will spend days looking for a deer in a picture. I have mine for either 10 or 15 seconds. After all, at 5 sec intervals, when you do have pictures of deer it's usually in 3 picture groups (from my experience). So therefore I use 15 seconds.

Good point.  I found that at 5 seconds I had maybe 5-10 photos of the same deer meandering about.  I will increase my time.

I bought one and I am going to use it for security cam mounted up high on tree at my sisters property where my 4 trail cams were stolen last Oct. There has been 4 wheeler activity back there recently so I will put it up try see how it performs that way. There is entry point they seem to like coming in to trespass and there is good spot there to mount it. I bought the mounting bracket for it and you can adjust it at nice angles. I think it will do the job.