Pheasant

greg54

I came across these pheasant last Thursday while driving in Niagara County. There was 4 in all. I rarely ever see 1 pheasant  but 4? I told a friend of mine about it and he has spotted them on the roads driving to work in southern Erie County recently also. Does anyone know why they congregate like that on the roadway? They are so scarce and seeing them like that surprised me.post-2675-0-12624700-1392860490_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Pecking gravel to help digest food.

Where in Niagara County, near 104 and 78 (roughly)?  There is a preserve there and I think at least on other on a north/south rd, I forget the name of the road but it is in eastern NC.

Or I know Tonawanda Sportsmans Club has birds also.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

Pecking gravel to help digest food.

Where in Niagara County, near 104 and 78 (roughly)?  There is a preserve there and I think at least on other on a north/south rd, I forget the name of the road but it is in eastern NC.

Or I know Tonawanda Sportsmans Club has birds also.

It was on the Hartland Rd. just heading south from rt.18 maybe a mile. There wasn't any farms or houses right there where there was a pen or something they escaped from. I just haven't seen many at all except where they do stock the birds. I was headed back home from Golden Hill State Park after trying for some rabbits(no luck). They stock pheasant there in fall but that's distance from when I spotted these.

Besides gravel,,A lot of roadsides consist of tall grass and brush, their favorite cover, plus the depressed ditch to run and use as escape cover. so they are actually safer by the road...if they stay away from cars.  I've seen some big bucks use the sides of the rail right of ways the same way..great cover,rabbits use them  the same way.

40 yrs. ago that was a common sight along rds. & r/r tracks.  Sure wish they would come back like turkeys did!   I never thought I would have to pay $25 a bird to shoot a pheasant!    I have 2 cock birds mounted from Ransomville area I shot 40+ yrs. ago they had 21" & 22" tail feathers,   big birds at the time.

Found this on the local craigslist today.  Same area???

ringneck's are 2.5 to3.5 lbs. excellent fliers.for hunting or for releaseing or just for eating very fine ment. they are year old bird's. $10.00 each or $9.00 each for 50+. I also have breeding pair's for sale $30.00 pair .1-315-754-six four three four.