making turkey calls?

TeeBugg

Start off with the simplest.  IMO

Slate over a glass soundboard.  Start with a 3.5" slate surface and a 3' glass soundboard.  BTW you can use a 3" glass soundboard for just about any call.  if you'd like to experiment with wood soundboards get some 3" Walnut boards.

If you want to try some glass calls et 3.5" bronzed glass for your playing surface and using the same soundboards as above.

You'll want to use Plumber's Goop to glue both the soundboards and the playing surface down.  Make sure you put enough glue ont he rim of the pot to properly seal the playing surface.  If there are any bare spots the call will sound "dead" in those areas.

I made a few that way probably 10 years ago or so. A lot of guys wanting to make their own calls start out that way. Once you make a few it will most likely go one of two ways, either you will satisfy your urge and get bored with it, or you will get bored with it and want to jump into true call making with both feet. After I made a few I didn't do any more calls for quite a few years, when I got the urge again I started to make wingbone calls to do something truly custom. One of these days I'll pick up a lathe to be able to do some other call types.

This is a good source for pot call blanks and materials: http://www.customsawing.com/

These are some of the ones I put together from kits:

DSC03720Medium.jpg

A couple of the ones I do now:

_Q7Q7672-Edit_zps8f7582f9.jpg

wingbone_zpsb92476f5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...