Havalon Knives

Saw an add for these Havalon knives with the replaceable blades. Has anyone ever used these before? It kinda reminds me a folding scalpal where you can just replace the blade everytime it gets dull. Looks like an interesting product and was curious if anyone has used it before and if so how they like it.

Can you these knives for basic quartering? Or does it stop and field dressing and skinning? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have field boned entire animals with mine and several pigs.(I have 3)

I feel the more experienced you are at animal breakdown the more you can do. Applying side pressure or torquing a blade will snap them, so it helps if you already understand how to approach cuts without fishing around for joints and such.

JMO

I could not do it. I'm a knife guy,I take pride in the edges I put on the same way a reloader may feel about his special load he worked . It's a skill an outdoorsman should know,I can shave with any knife I own,ok I own dozens and a few thick beveled ones maybe not pop hair ,but scrape .

The knife to me is the most personal item an outdoorsman owns. These just lack soul,feel,history,looks ,style , not to mention handle other uses that come up outdoors that may not matter to some ,to me it's a big deal .

But then some shave with spray foam and plastic paint scampers,and I use shaving soap a badger brush and Merkur razor.

I own my Grandfathers Marbels fixed blade from1,911 ,still works well on deer ,I own my Dads pre 64 Whitehunter two classics that still do it and will be passed down generations and be as functional as they are beautiful .

• Like 3

I've used one for the past few seasons and I am extremely impressed.  I always used to have to sharpen my knife but not any more.  If my knife gets dull I just change the blade.  It's made of surgical steel and is exactly like the knives that surgeons use....EXTREMELY sharp.  After I showed my taxidermist my knife he bought some for him and his crew  and now it's his favorite knife to use.  

I could not do it. I'm a knife guy,I take pride in the edges I put on the same way a reloader may feel about his special load he worked . It's a skill an outdoorsman should know,I can shave with any knife I own,ok I own dozens and a few thick beveled ones maybe not pop hair ,but scrape .

The knife to me is the most personal item an outdoorsman owns. These just lack soul,feel,history,looks ,style , not to mention handle other uses that come up outdoors that may not matter to some ,to me it's a big deal .

But then some shave with spray foam and plastic paint scampers,and I use shaving soap a badger brush and Merkur razor.

I own my Grandfathers Marbels fixed blade from1,911 ,still works well on deer ,I own my Dads pre 64 Whitehunter two classics that still do it and will be passed down generations and be as functional as they are beautiful .

I wish I could sharpen a knife like you. I respect that, and see where you are coming from.

I can do it ok, and would if I had to. But never can get it razor sharp. I just ordered 2 of these knives.

But it is purely function. And that is it.

I get it . Normally I'm a function guy myself .i understand the frustration some have with sharpening , I sure sharpen a bunch for guys at work here is a pic. Marbels in front Puma Whitehunter next and a Robeson carried in WWII by a U.S. marine in the Battle of The Bulge.

Many hunters are known for putting a grand into a bow or rifle but think a "good" knife should cost no more then 50 bucks. For $200 you can get a custom made fixed blade and the maker will sharpen it for life.

It'll out live the owner .

post-253-0-40514100-1395190133_thumb.jpg

For $200 you can get a custom made fixed blade and the maker will sharpen it for life.

I paid $225 for my hunting knife. The design is awesome and it feels great in my hand. Well worth it to me. But, I admit it's not for everyone.

For $200 you can get a custom made fixed blade and the maker will sharpen it for life.

Are they going to come sharpen it when you are halfway through quartering an elk or moose?  I love expensive knives too and I have a few, but being able to simply snap on a new blade when it starts to get dull is great.