Old school new...

Tughill

My passion is to track whitetail deer. Can't say I'm proficient at it, but I've had some good years. I own a camp on Tughill , roughly 8 miles back in for anything with power. Enjoy the camp atmosphere and the hunting and friends  but I always yearn for the Big Woods. The Adirondacks. So now with a beautiful camp , warm and dry , I spend my season in a tent tucked away on some state land, that some have said I was 'nuts' to be back there. 23 days last season , most by myself spent in the tent. Had a few nights towards the end of the season last year at -15 degrees. But the tent stayed just as warm as the camp ! Getting back to the ways our fathers and grandfathers enjoyed the woods has been the best thing. I can't get many to go, it's ' Forever Wild' so you walk (seems people don't do that anymore !) but I'm grooming a few that have had their eyes opened , and really seem to love it as much as I do. Old school-yes , but thank god for my GPS !!!!

• Like 4

I'm with ya... as I have gotten older I travel a shorter distance into the woods than I use to and try to get myself out before dark... I have a camp in the Tughill and in the ADK... the big woods is definitely not for everyone, but that's where it is for me! Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. The 8 miles on Tughill you can drive, it takes just about an hour. Pretty rough but good hard road. I canoe into the area in the Adirondacks. The cell phone unfortunately works at the tent site and I carry a SPOT messenger . It works off the satellites and can send a distress signal with GPS locations. Talked to the ranger up there and he was familiar with the SPOT and said they work. Time in the woods is all vacation days ! I go to work when I'm sick ! lol