Tom King's statements. Thoughts?

I was at the rally.  There was no chest pounding or threats made.  The take away message was vote cuomo out.  Tom King is playing cards with two decks.  One with us and one with the politicians.  He is winning in the politician game.  All he is doing is laying the ground work so if his efforts fail, he can blame us and not have any bad rep with the politicians he has suddenly started to play with.  Simple as that.

Throwing in the towel because Tom King said what he did makes me wonder how committed people are anyway.  To me it did just the opposite.  I want to fight harder without his assistance.  

• Like 1

I think he honestly believes what he is saying. He's just wrong and should be told so. If he's not willing to get with doing what he is supposed to be doing, maybe it's time for him to be replaced.

• Like 1

I think he honestly believes what he is saying. He's just wrong and should be told so. If he's not willing to get with doing what he is supposed to be doing, maybe it's time for him to be replaced.

Problem is that to a point he is correct and he is talking to the thousands that feel the same way. He is talking to/about almost all of the city folk. Thats where the votes will come from to keep most in the seats for another term.

I disagree.  The city folk can be left behind.  he is being told he is wrong.  Lots of people have said they are not going to financially support the organization any longer.  We have the numbers to win this thing.  Separating us into us and them will not get it done.  The more we shake up the city folk, the more likely they will be to energize their base to vote against us.  Forget them and energize our own base, not try to tear it apart.  That is what King is doing.  We have the numbers to do this just by gun owners if they get off their cans and get involved.  Call everyone you know who is progun ask about the safe act educate them get them registered and importantly get them to the polls. Also talk to any not pro gun people and do the same.   If every gun owner did this, we would own this election.  Unfortunately most will sit home and complain.  That is a day or two out of your life to make some contacts.  That i show this is going to be won.

Edited by bubba

I read this more than a month ago.  The main reason he said he wasn't going was stated in the article. 

He also said Tuesday's rally will include people who are pushing other issues like hydrofracking, anti-abortion, and land owner rights.

"All worthy issues, but not 2nd Amendment issues!," King wrote. "We are a single issue advocacy group and our message becomes compromised with these other groups included."

He is correct. You cannot piggy-back with other issues.

• Like 1

I disagree.  The city folk can be left behind.  he is being told he is wrong.  Lots of people have said they are not going to financially support the organization any longer.  We have the numbers to win this thing.  Separating us into us and them will not get it done.  The more we shake up the city folk, the more likely they will be to energize their base to vote against us.  Forget them and energize our own base, not try to tear it apart.  That is what King is doing.  We have the numbers to do this just by gun owners if they get off their cans and get involved.  Call everyone you know who is progun ask about the safe act educate them get them registered and importantly get them to the polls. Also talk to any not pro gun people and do the same.   If every gun owner did this, we would own this election.  Unfortunately most will sit home and complain.  That is a day or two out of your life to make some contacts.  That i show this is going to be won.

Isn't this all so typical of gun owners and hunters. We never seem to be able to stay glued together long enough to get anything accomplished before somebody needs to have the spotlight by making some outlandish statements and proposals. That's what fills me with frustration and pessimism. Logically, there is no reason why even a minority group of people can't influence elections if they are dedicated and passionate about one particular issue. I mean, we are not really all that small a block of voters when you consider that there are also many other groups that dislike Cuomo for their own reasons. It used to be that politicians would pay great attention to any large block of voters. Now they have learned that other organizations may pose a real threat in elections, but the gun lobby is being exposed as a paper tiger that can never hold themselves together long enough to get the job done.

Isn't this all so typical of gun owners and hunters. We never seem to be able to stay glued together long enough to get anything accomplished before somebody needs to have the spotlight by making some outlandish statements and proposals. That's what fills me with frustration and pessimism. Logically, there is no reason why even a minority group of people can't influence elections if they are dedicated and passionate about one particular issue. I mean, we are not really all that small a block of voters when you consider that there are also many other groups that dislike Cuomo for their own reasons. It used to be that politicians would pay great attention to any large block of voters. Now they have learned that other organizations may pose a real threat in elections, but the gun lobby is being exposed as a paper tiger that can never hold themselves together long enough to get the job done.

Thats because one is out numbered.

Thats because one is out numbered.

No, it's got nothing to do with numbers. It has to do with attitudes and the fact that if you put a group of gun owners in a room an argument over something will break out inside of 15 minutes. Try to get them to work together to oust a politician, and immediately one of the leaders will stand up and throw the rest of the gun owners and their whole cause under the bus just to make himself look like the rational, mature, and reasoned one. There's something wrong with us folks. I never see any of these antis making public statements that criticize anyone in their organization or membership. Their dirty laundry never gets aired on the streets. They don't get involved in self-aggrandizing moves and public statements that make their membership sound like a bunch of hill-billys. And guess which side of the issue is making all the advances today?

I've got to say that I really am not taking this Tom King stuff very well. I'm frustrated and disappointed and really not feeling very optimistic. We have it in our power to impact gun rights issues for decades to come and this is what our leadership pulls just mere months before the elections.

• Like 1

No, it's got nothing to do with numbers. It has to do with attitudes and the fact that if you put a group of gun owners in a room an argument over something will break out inside of 15 minutes. Try to get them to work together to oust a politician, and immediately one of the leaders will stand up and throw the rest of the gun owners and their whole cause under the bus just to make himself look like the rational, mature, and reasoned one. There's something wrong with us folks. I never see any of these antis making public statements that criticize anyone in their organization or membership. Their dirty laundry never gets aired on the streets. They don't get involved in self-aggrandizing moves and public statements that make their membership sound like a bunch of hill-billys. And guess which side of the issue is making all the advances today?

I've got to say that I really am not taking this Tom King stuff very well. I'm frustrated and disappointed and really not feeling very optimistic. We have it in our power to impact gun rights issues for decades to come and this is what our leadership pulls just mere months before the elections.

Sorry i just dont see it. I think there are more voters that would be against more than for, regardless if its against their own rights. Then you will have the gun owners that do not see a problem and know that they will never take away hunting guns. Then you have the ones that..ahh kinda care a little bit but wont vote either way and see what happens. Looked at our local Newz Junky today and see this one shot and that one shot that many.  I just see no changes in the seat coming, in today world.

Sorry i just dont see it. I think there are more voters that would be against more than for, regardless if its against their own rights. Then you will have the gun owners that do not see a problem and know that they will never take away hunting guns. Then you have the ones that..ahh kinda care a little bit but wont vote either way and see what happens. Looked at our local Newz Junky today and see this one shot and that one shot that many.  I just see no changes in the seat coming, in today world.

Hey, you may very well be right. But if we sit back on the couch and don't try, I guess we know for sure how that will come out. I would rather have tried and lost than sit around and wonder what might have been if we had just got off our rumps and tried to do something about it. I really don't give up very easily and have to actually lose before I give up (and sometimes not even then ......lol). At the very least, I really don't see any percentages in trying to talk others out of putting up a good effort and nothing is really gained by trying to discourage those who do want to fight. I never have seen where that does me or anyone else (other than the antis) any good.

He is correct. You cannot piggy-back with other issues.

No he isn't.  Strength in numbers.  Look at how complacent a lot of gun owners are.  We need everyone voting against Cuomo regardless of their reasons.  And he was wrong about the rally. None of the topics were discussed.

I'm of the thought that when you talk loud enough people listen... the more noise the gun owners make and the more they get out their message the better chance of gaining ground with those non-gun owners that might be on the fence about Coumo... Reminding people that once one Constitutional right can be infringed so can others... people need to know that this isn't just about guns... it's about giving the government or anyone else the power to stomp on the Constitution... it sometimes takes just one brick to be removed to bring the whole building down.

If you haven't noticed the government intrusion on religion, speech, guns, search and seizure and State rights... then you haven't been paying attention. There are many people still asleep out there that need to be informed and woken up... apathy and defeatism isn't going to get that done. The independent voting block is the biggest and can be swayed with proper knowledge of the issues.

• Like 3