My setup, looking for advice

34NY

As I've said a couple times now I'm new to hunting, forums, the whole 9. Here's my setup. Today is my last scouting/ dry run. I've been in my blind since 4:45am. Hit the owl call, had 2 start hooting back, one came within at least 20 yards of me which was pretty cool, anyway I heard 2 toms then. About 5:45 I heard 4 toms distinctly gobbling like crazy. (Didn't hear any fly downs). I would guess they were 100ish yards away. About 6:30 heard some yelps/clucks and more gobbling. Haven't heard a thing since then. I did throw out a few yelps but maybe 3-4 in that hour timespan. I'm hunting in a narrow clearing. (along power lines, there's a huge field to the south of me which I don't have permission to hunt, where I heard 2 of the 4 toms gobbling. I'm surrounded by woods in all directions with a stream to the west). Is this silence probably due to them getting busy? Then once that's over the toms would be back out looking for more? I was hoping I could just see them cross through this area on their own but no such luck yet. I suppose I'm in a great spot, just need to be patient and relax, what do u vets think?

I usually get a little impatient around 9:30-10 if I'm not getting too much action, that's usually when I switch to a run and gun approach. try to walk through to woods quietly and then stop and give a couple soft clucks or purrs. is that creek in a valley or is it pretty flat ground? if there's a valley then you can use it as a natural amplifier for your calls and they will travel further. But sometimes impatience can get the best of you. on several occasions I've started to pack up to move somewhere else and that's when they would show up. maybe stay in your spot all morning one day and try running and gunning the next. I think the more you hunt turkeys, the more you realize how unpredictable they can be.

You need to try to find what direction they are traveling. You are hearing them from the roost, when they fly down did you notice they sounded different? try to figure out where they go by crow calling to get them to respond. You don't want to be using turkey calls unless you are hunting them, if they sneak in quite and you bump them they may not respond to that call again. If you are hearing birds you are in a good spot, some days they just don't gobble a lot, don't loose patience. Try to get in real early 1.5 hrs before sunrise, and tip toe as close as you can to the area you heard them from the roost. Don't call at all, just sit tight, full camo, and just observe what you see and hear. They might be with hens and they will follow them, you need to know where they might go so come opening day you can get ahead of them. Good luck!    PS where is there a steep ravine near the city of Tonawanda?

Thanks, lots of good help. Heh live in Tonawanda, hunt in southern tier. The problem I have is I can't get closer or cut them off in any direction. Its all private land and they all said no...so basically I don't have a choice but to call them to me. I thought they were crossing from north to south, passed where I was to this field I mentioned. Mind you I'm bow hunting so the run n gun is out. Its basically a strip of cleared power lines with woods north and south, steep drop off ravine on the west side, road on the east side. I've located at least 4 gobbling to the north & south. Early April the neighbor counted numerous times a flock of 20+ birds in his field 80 yards south of me. (Yea he's nice enough to tell me what he saw but won't let me on his property. Haha). I think I just need to put in my time and be patient. I just get itchy cause I'm a beginner so I second guess everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Gonehntn I didn't notice a difference in how they sounded, but honestly I wasn't listening for it. Just was focused on hearing them at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

keep listening you should notice the difference once they hit the ground. Be patient if there are other hunters on the neighboring property they might bump the birds and send them your way. You can always just wait them out, if they hear your calls, they might come looking later in the morning once the hens start going to nest. Although with the weather we've been having the nesting probably won't start for a few more weeks.