Calling turkeys/gobbling turkey

THHuntNY

THHuntNY, if you know where the bird was I would setup near there and sit and just listen. See if he gobbles on his own. If he does then you can adjust your setup. If possible get with in 100 yards or so. If I find a bird I will just sit and wait for awhile after getting settled. I will make a soft yelp, he he responds great, just sit tight. If he doesn't respond just sit time. They remember where they heard it. The bird I called in for my daughter Sunday for youth season, gobbled in the tree, he hit the ground, I made a soft call on my slate call he gobbles. He was about 100 yards away, I made one more soft call about 2 minutes later, and next thing I knew he was at 20 yards and coming, and with in seconds at 10 yards on top of my decoys, and my daughter connected at 10 yards with a 19lb bird 9 1/4 beard and 1 inch spurs.Some time silence is the best killer.

It's really tough to analyze your situation without being there.

You should learn where your gobblers want to GO. It is very tough to call them into an area where they do NOT want to go.

Be happy you are having so much action..In the last two days I have heard only a couple of distant gobbles.

Stick with it, Kid.. It's all part of the learning curve. Good luck..I look forward to your post when things finally come together and you kill one.

Turkey hunting is very difficult but at the same time so addicting and different from deer hunting. Which is why I love it !!!!! First year ever now hunting didn't see a damn deer but had a whole flock of turkey walk with in 5 yards of my tree stand and roost scared the bejesus out of me the next morning when I say back in my blind cause is sounded like someone driving a semi thru the woods. I've seen turkey drop down from Roost 5 days in a row and each day go different routes depending on the weather but came back to the roosting tree the same direction night in and night out.

Had a great hunt this morning. Gobbling all morning. Finally about 25 minutes ago I called in to nice gobblers. They saw my hen decoys but wouldn't really get close to them. I accidentally spooked them off. They saw me move and get my bow. Are they gone for good? I sure hope not. But talk about an amazing hunt

Had a great hunt this morning. Gobbling all morning. Finally about 25 minutes ago I called in to nice gobblers. They saw my hen decoys but wouldn't really get close to them. I accidentally spooked them off. They saw me move and get my bow. Are they gone for good? I sure hope not. But talk about an amazing hunt

Don't worry they will be back sometime... Esp if they are roosting in the area... Sounds like an awesome time!

Sent from my Droid Commando using Tapatalk 2

Geography, henned up, or you calling basically told him you know where he is and are coming to him. Some cluck too much and too much like a putt. Gobblers won't come over because they think you're telling them it's a bad idea. Instead they gobble to let you know hey were over here head this way

• Like 1