Questions re Savage 99 in .250-3000

moog5050

I have been itching to acquire a lever action and I have a friend that offered me this rifle.  Its an early 1950s model in excellent condition.  I would plan to use it open sight for deer (maybe 100-117g).  Any thoughts, experiences, comments, etc. are appreciated.   I know I can buy a new Marlin 336 in .30-30 cheaper, but I hear there were some real issues with the quality of these guns since remington took over.

I have been itching to acquire a lever action and I have a friend that offered me this rifle.  Its an early 1950s model in excellent condition.  I would plan to use it open sight for deer (maybe 100-117g).  Any thoughts, experiences, comments, etc. are appreciated.   I know I can buy a new Marlin 336 in .30-30 cheaper, but I hear there were some real issues with the quality of these guns since remington took over.

the only complaints I have heard about the 99 is where the safety is.........there are some that have the safety on top of the receiver and some with the safety on the lever, the one on top of the receiver seems to be the better of the two......no doubt a nicer piece of work than a Marlin.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

I have a savage 99 lever. It is 45yrs old. It has safe on the lever. The ones on top came out much later and had a clip. I did have safe done over just recently. It didnt have any tension on it. Got it repaired for 80.00. Just needed a new spring. It is like new now.Have two in family and we like them a lot.The only issue I have had with it is that it will freeze up in bitter cold weather. Like 10 degrees or less.

I have a savage 99 lever. It is 45yrs old. It has safe on the lever. The ones on top came out much later and had a clip. I did have safe done over just recently. It didnt have any tension on it. Got it repaired for 80.00. Just needed a new spring. It is like new now.Have two in family and we like them a lot.The only issue I have had with it is that it will freeze up in bitter cold weather. Like 10 degrees or less.

my brother has an old one, older than 45 years, in 300 Savage........it has the rotary magazine (no "clip") and safety on top.

If the price is right…..BUY IT !! I had a 99 chambered in 300 Savage, that was made in 1950. Like an idiot, I sold it a few years back. It shot great and was in great  shape. I got good money for it but still, I wish I kept it.

They are great rifles and ones in 250-3000 (250 Savage) are some of the rarest & most desirable among Savage collectors. Grab it…… The 250 Savage is also a good deer round. I think it ranks  right around the 243 Winchester.

• Like 1

The 250-3000 is a great deer caliber and a classic in the M99 rifle.

It was the first factory chambering to reach 3000 FPS ( albeit with an 87 grain bullet) whch was really sizzling 100 years or so ago when it was introduced.

• Like 1

The seller wants to use the funds to buy a takedown model.  He is trying to work a deal on that before selling me the gun.  He is slow to move, but I suspect he will sell it to me.  Its a good deal.  Probably blasphemy to most collectors as I will drag it in the woods, but I don't want to buy it and leave it on the shelf.  Wasnt shot much as bore is very nice as are bluing and stock considering its a 60 year old gun.  A member here also generously offered to teach me to reload, which pushed me over the cliff on the possibility of purchasing it.

And yes, the savage 250 was the first to exceed 3000fps at 87g.  I think the win 243 (which was 100fps faster at the time) is what caused the demise of the 250.  Very similar.

By all means use it...That is what it was made for. It will be a MUCH happier rifle if you take it in the woods and maybe even shoot a DEER with it...<<grin>>...

The only SAFE QUEEN I own is a twist barrel Ithaca Double that I would have to use black powder loads in.

My Dad bought it used in the 1930s for ten bucks.

Edited by Pygmy

Buy it and hunt with it….Don't worry about any "resale value". Thats BS.  Owning and Hunting with an old, classic rifle is cool….Chicks dig it…..LOL!!!

I agree with most of what you say, Ants..

I know NOTHING about the "chicks dig it" part.

At my age I'd be lucky to have an old hen dig it....<<smirk>>...

I agree with most of what you say, Ants..

I know NOTHING about the "chicks dig it" part.

At my age I'd be lucky to have an old hen dig it....<<smirk>>...

LOL!! …...Im getting there myself brother!! 

I still use a flip phone that I consider  "high tech" and  I  still call marihuana "POT". 

LOL!! …...Im getting there myself brother!! 

I still use a flip phone that I consider  "high tech" and  I  still call marihuana "POT".

I can "one up" you there..

I've never HAD a cell phone, and I remember when cannabis was called " loco weed"...

I never tried any, though...And if I DID, I never inhaled, just like Bill Clinton...

• Like 1

I can "one up" you there..

I've never HAD a cell phone, and I remember when cannabis was called " loco weed"...

I never tried any, though...And if I DID, I never inhaled, just like Bill Clinton...

Old Bill should have said the same about Monica Lewinski……LOL!!! Lets not go there……..Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have it in hand, but the seller has assured me its mine and we agreed on the price.  He is an older collector and is slow to move so I don't push.  I told him last week that a member on here generously sent me a box of 250 ammo (thanks again JJB).  He reconfirmed that the gun is mine and I will have it before the season.  Good enough, he is true to his word and I can wait.

Assuming Livingston goes rifle, I will have a couple of cooler older guns with open sights to hunt with next season (win 100 and M99).  The win is being worked over by a gunsmith now to ensure it will function like new.  I am excited.

• Like 1

Ammo is really not a big issue as long as you are hunting with it, rather than plinking with it.

Lots of ammo available online for $1.50 - $2.00 per round ( probably plus shipping) but a couple boxes would last you a long time for a hunting rifle, especially if you are using iron sights, which rarely change zero, hence less ammo required to sight in each season.