My maiden voyage.(long version)

34NY

Thought I would just share the results of my first time turkey hunting. (9H) I have 3 spots, all private land. Didn't scout the area I was in today but chose it because of the weather. I wanted a more open field.

I was there setup in my blind at 4:30am. Dekes out all pumped and ready to go! Hit the owl call a couple times from then till 5, nothing. About 6:00 I put out some yelps, still nothing. Didn't hear one peep. I'm thinking this spots a bust. I'm facing East at the top of a hill and out of the corner of my eye I see it. He's about 100 yards to my right walking a ridge line. I could see his beard silhouetted against the skyline. This bird never made a sound. Now the adrenaline immediately starts pumping. This is the first wild turkey I've ever seen. It looked huge to me.

I keep calm, throw out some soft clucks and purrs and he's extending his head up as high as it'll go checking my area out, but he keeps on going. Finally he gobbles once, then again but I can tell he's going further away. I can't hunt where he was headed but I was so hopped up I don't think I could have shot him if he was on top of me. From then till 9:30 not a sign of any turkeys nearby.

Headed out to one of my other areas that I scouted. Got setup, starting cutting, had 4 gobble back before I was even done with the call, then nothing from them either. No matter what I did I couldn't get a response. Stuck it out till noon but none came my way.

Maybe the weather gave them a case of lockjaw I don't know, but I'm pumped for tomorrow. That first bird is going to be my nemesis I can feel it. I may not have gotten a bird but i'm definitely hooked! Seems to me I'm doing something right. It's only a matter of time.

Edited by 34NY

I am certainly no expert, but everything I have read suggests that less calling is better.  I think once they respond, a few purs or yelps and wait quietly.   You may have called just the perfect amount.  I only mention it.  I too would be calling hard if the bird is leaving your ground.  Good luck.

Thanks you too. I did call that way he just wasn't interested. When he got really far out is when I picked up the pace. I'll be gunnin for him tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Every bird is different. Some birds only need a few calls other birds will only come if you are aggressive. I would not being owl calling at 4:30 am,(just my preference)  I usually just sit and listen, if I don't heard anything by 5:30 ish then I will make a soft call.Sounds like I would move up to that ridge area and setup.

Two things stick out..1st ....you saw the bird silhouetted...toms prefer high ground.. I'd set up again but where you saw him. Not your original spot..if you see a bird there once it will be there again.2nd Heard four Gobble.. if they were together it was group of Jakes aggressive calling is in order(think of them as 5year old you need to keep their attention. If different birds they most likely had hens with them.. and they dragged them away. 3Rd. 430-500 hooting is too early in my experience..530-fly down (around 6) is much better time. Soft call at 1/4 to 6 to 6 as in tree.calls

OK thanks. Any input is welcomed believe me. Unfortunately I can't get to where the 1st one was cause its an adjacent property. I have no choice but to coax him in. Ridge line might have been the wrong phrase, really it's the top of a hill that butts up against a pond. So imagine uphill then flat pond, he was walking right along that edge that's why he was silhouetted. G-man the gobbles must have been with hens like you said, they were in different areas. I'll definitely try the call tactics you guys mentioned

Thanks again!

Edited by 34NY

What's your opinion on this decoy setup? Maybe he didn't like it I don't know. I had it so the mature strutting tom was 10 yards out looking at me, and one hen about 8 yards out looking away. Maybe try just the single hen tomorrow? Or nothing at all? I know its all trial and error and learning just thought I'd ask your opinions.