taxidermist for skull cleaning

fisher2

im pretty hopeful for my first bow kill this fall so i was wondering who i should go to and rough prices of a cleaned skull nothing fancy, just a white skull on a plaque. i'm in kingston ny

How about DIY?

I'm sure you can look it up on the web and follow a video or three.  I've done probably 7 or 8 of my own and had some done by others.  I have had the bugs do a bear, elk and deer and yes they do a fine job but they aren't cheap.

If this buck (that you haven't shot yet :O ) is a real beauty, well then spend the cash on it.  If it isn't the buck you expected, do it yourself.  It's a stinky, messy time consuming job but the satisfaction is worth it, IMO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DIY  !  Bury it in the garden and cover it with a screen or something that the local creatures will not dig up. I lost a few the first few years form foxes and racoons digging them up and running away with them. After about 6 months dig it up carefully. and wash it off.  let it sit in the sun for a while to whiten up, and your done.  Works great for me each year.  

I've done them in a single afternoon, but optimally you would want to do it in steps over the course of 5-6 days

Boil it outside!! Just make sure you wrap the rack with aluminum foil & keep the rack bases outta the water.

Skin the skull first. Then boil for a while and pick/cut flesh off. Repeat as necessary. At some point you'll be able to pull the brain out with a piece of wire or hemastats. When you feel that all the flesh is off, draw a bath for the skull with Dawn dish soap to degrease it and then let it soak for a couple days. Change the soap/water every day. Then let it dry out for a day. Now it's time to whiten. I like to make a paste with 40% peroxide and borax powder and spread it on before wrapping with saran wrap. Repeat if necessary.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Edited by PREDATE

DIY ! Bury it in the garden and cover it with a screen or something that the local creatures will not dig up. I lost a few the first few years form foxes and racoons digging them up and running away with them. After about 6 months dig it up carefully. and wash it off. let it sit in the sun for a while to whiten up, and your done. Works great for me each year.

do you have to wait til spring to start this process?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2