Sugar beets

From what I understand if you are planting a field of them by themselves for the purpose of sugar production you are probably a little late.

That said if these beets are deer forage you should be fine.

And if you are mixing with other forage like Purple Top turnips, clovers, oats it will matter even less.

I'm planting a similar mix to the above next week...my only concern is rain:

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22241-First-Plots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

I personally have not planted sugar beets before. Though I have planted purple top turnips, a brassica, which needed 60 days to mature so I plant them first week of August. I am very curious to see how your sugar beets do for attracting deer. Please, share some trail cam pics and pictures of the plot as it grows.

Whitetail Strategies Guide Service

Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide

Edited by VT Outfitter

Up until this year I planted sugar beets the past two years.  I got them in in early July and they were great. Deer pretty much left them alone until the frost hits them.  The tops are bitter until then, so they get a great chance to mature.  The deer loved them and as I say once the frost hit them they went right after them.  I am surrounded by summer crops in the farms around, so I do not worry so much about the summer feed.  Plus I have 12 acres of alfalfa I cut and bail for my beef cattle.  The deer rummage in there too especially after it has been cut.  That being said I switched to purple topped turnips or forage turnips this year for my plots.  I put them in today. 60-75 days to maturity, so again around September they will mature.

Up until this year I planted sugar beets the past two years.  I got them in in early July and they were great. Deer pretty much left them alone until the frost hits them.  The tops are bitter until then, so they get a great chance to mature.  The deer loved them and as I say once the frost hit them they went right after them.  I am surrounded by summer crops in the farms around, so I do not worry so much about the summer feed.  Plus I have 12 acres of alfalfa I cut and bail for my beef cattle.  The deer rummage in there too especially after it has been cut.  That being said I switched to purple topped turnips or forage turnips this year for my plots.  I put them in today. 60-75 days to maturity, so again around September they will mature.

Why did you switch to purple tops?