Hunter Safety Courses

Fletch

Was hoping some of you might have some ideas.

I have a son who turned 12 a few weeks ago and I started looking into safety courses so he can hunt this fall.

What I discovered is man I shoulda started looking a lot sooner.

I would prefer just to do the bow and regular all in one with the pre online or workbook study. So I tried the DEC site and there are like 2 classes within 50 miles of me and both were full.

Anyone have any ideas where any other lists of classes may be listed? The few on the DEC site cannot be all for the whole state, if so that is pretty bad.

When I did mine there were classes all over so I did not really think it would be an issue.

The only option is driving 100 miles down south and get a hotel to take a course for two days!

By the way I am just outside of Syracuse.

Thanks for any ideas.

All classes are listed on the dec.  You are actually starting to look at the right time.  Finding a combo class is tough.  They are not working out as the dec thought they would.   I teach home study for bow are archery.  However the field days are separate saturdays.  I am a bit of a drive from you in st law county.  The classes usually pick up again around mid to late august and go until hunting season.  Also be sure to check out the new online registration.  Once a class is registered, you can sign up immediately online.   The DEC seems to be uploading class info on Fridays.  Check the website often but I would be sure to hit it every friday.  In the mean time, I would sign up and do the online classes if you want to go that route.  They can be done anytime.  

Edited by bubba

Yes I knew you would be the expert on this too.  All classes are now registered online and appear online.  look after Friday.  How many classes have you taught?  I have been doing it for over 25 years.  I think I know a little more about this subject than you. 

most do not register classes this early.  You only have to give 30 days notice to register a class.  As with students, the interest is not there yet for instructors to get it going.  Summer is in full force

yah keep checking . A friend of mine called the local archery shop that usually  does a bunch every year and they said they are waiting for DEC to call them back for the last month to confirm dates. I checked the CT DEEP site for my nephew and they have slim pickens also. 

Special shout out to Smith Point Archery on Long Island. My nieces husband came home on a two week leave from serving over seas. He wanted to get his bow license during this time. The guys over there put together a course for him this Sunday. That rates in my book and they will get my future business!

As I said on deaf ears I guess you have to register online now. A new system that started this year. You can go seeking a class all you want. Until you register through the DEC website you have accomplished nothing. Some people want to be right even when they are clueless

Not true about the data base. I

That was started by instructors to scstr away the maybes. I sm glad this shop did that but they broke the rules. All classes have yo be registered 30 days in advance and open to the public

once the class is online yes.  talking to you is like talking to my wife.  You both know it all and even the facts will not dissuade you.  whatever.  you are a huge waste of my time. 

Glad Im not alone with that wife thing…..LOL!

Ok moron I will take my handbook to work tonight and make a copy and post it for you tomorrow so you can see what the procedures are.  I know you will say it is a lie, but some people have their heads so far up the arses they can not see daylight for the crap they surround themselves with.