Home Heating

airedale

Saw on the news this morning home heating oil is up almost 70% from last year, YIKES! I have my heating plans all set for this winter and have backup for the backups. As the Boy Scout motto says "Be Prepared"

Put new grates in my kitchen cookstove 

Put in 3 cords of wood

Five tons of Nut Coal

Topped off the 500 gal propane tank

Have kerosene and electric heaters on stand by if for any reason failure of the above.

There are some that would like to ban just about everything I use.

I am not going to freeze!;)

Explain the grates in stove? 

I got a new furnace last year and kinda went nuts turning up the heat, it felt pretty good. This year I will not go crazy and I won't keep changing thermostat 

Next year I will be working on insulation 

Edited by Paula

15 minutes ago, Paula said:

Explain the grates in stove? 

The grates in the stove are what the wood or coal rest on while burning, the grate in my stove are shaker grates used more for coal burning. As their name suggests a handle placed on the end allows them to be shaken which lets the ash drop below them into the ash pan and keep the air flowing. The old grates are  about 20 years old and were getting warped pretty bad, I already had an extra set and replaced the old ones which will be taken to a guy with a forge to be heated and  straightened out and made useful again.

Al