Win and loose

Bleitten04

Quiet an intersting opening day for me.  Well it started out with me hitting a deer on the way to my uncles.  I posted a topic on that below.  When I finally get to my stand I'm in it for about 10 - 15 minutes and I hear my buddy shoot.  I scared a 4 point to him when getting in my stand.  He shot twice and hit it the first time and missed the second when it was running.  We wait 45 minutes and then go after it.  It left a decent blood trail but not bubbles and its pretty dark.  We get about 30 yards from where it is laying down and can't see it but can hear it get up and move.  We go up and see where it was bedded and see it went out into a field.  We look in the field and see nothing.  We try to find where it went into the woods after leaving the field.  It took us a good half hour to follow the blood trail across this field.  We get about 10 yards from the edge of the woods and see the deer laying there and it looks dead.  Start high fiving and walk up to it.  Well it gets up and runs away.  Now we know we gotta give this deer some time.  Also where it ran to isn't property we can hunt.  We see the landowner over to the right and a couple hundred yards back.  We tell him the situation and he says go find your deer.  We sit and wait for an hour.  We go back pick up the trail and crawled crouched and rolled lol for a good 300 hundred yards in a big half circle.  Well the deer hasn't died yet and we chase it to the landowner's son who shoots it and puts it down.  We shoot the bull for a few minutes and his dad shows up.  They take the deer and really had no intentions of having us take it.  Still don't know where my buddy really hit it because the only side we saw was where the bullet exited.  I think he hit the liver though.  The owner appreciated the way we went about business so he granted us permission to hunt his property and use his stands as long as we call him in advance.  His property is quite big and borders my unlces property.  There is also a pond in the center of his land.  A little disapointed but also a little happy we go back and my buddy shot a doe later in the day.  He hit a bullseye on the heart and the deer went 30 to 40 yards. 

Well give you guys a big pat on the back when the land owners son shot the deer. I know most people hate giving up a deer but, the DEC law says the killing shot is who the deer belongs too (in the southern tier atleast). It sounds like little 4 pointer may have gotten you guys some huge brownie points for the future.

Hey, the deer didn't go to waste..his son tagged it, you've now got permission to hunt and your buddy shot a doe.although u would have liked the deer, you got much more out of it this way. As long as the deer didn't go to waste, this is the best thing that could have happened. He'll get a bigger buck now.

I agree with everything you guys are saying.  My buddy got a doe, we got more land to hunt, and the deer did not go to waste (all positives).  I really wish we gave it more time though.  Probably would have found it dead where we first spooked it if we gave it another half hour or so.  O well we are both young and living and learning!!!  If you count bow season we have both learned a life time of lesson's this season!!!!