I grow a pretty good amount of garlic each year, about 5 different varieties.  We harvested back on 7/12-7/13 this year, right before another monsoon hit that day.

Over here, in Western New York, it was a better year than I expected with the weird weather and rains.  Size was pretty comparable to last year, although I'd say a hair smaller.  A few others that I know who grow garlic here had a much tougher year than last year.

How did your turn out this year?

Ho many do you grow each year.

Hi Trapper,

Very interesting.  We are located at about 1500 feet elevation in Central NY so we harvest a bit later.

I grow about 240 plants each year.  I have been growing German hard neck for the last six or seven years since it seems to handle the winter well and is a wonderful tasting garlic.   It has white outer skin and reddish inner skin.  It usually form 5 to 6 large cloves.   I probably should try some other varieties for the fun of it.  My bulbs averaged about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in  diameter this year.  I plant in mid October and cover with straw.  I cut off the scapes in June. 

I'd be interested  in how many plants do you grow and what varieties you grow and any other observations or tips you might have.

Thanks.  Photo of a typical bulb below.

post-725-0-21739900-1407032183_thumb.jpg

Yes ants, we plant them about 2 inches deep pointy side up  and cover the bed with straw.  They say you get more consistent results from the cloves rather than the seeds although we always seem to have a few volunteers from the plants I miss when removing scapes that go to flower.  They usually are much smaller than the ones I grow from cloves.

ants, we don't wait for the cloves to sprout before putting on the straw in October.  The cloves don't seem to start sprouting until early spring.  I sprinkle on  a layer of loose straw a few inches deep ( 3 inches or so) on top of them after I plant them.  The sprouts will find their way through the straw.  Some of my neighbors have tried to grow garlic by starting the cloves in the spring but it just doesn't seem to work.  Fall planting toughens the plant and gives it more time to grow in our climate.   The hard neck varieties seem to grow best in New York state although I have heard of some guys doing good with the softnecks.  I started mine from ordinary German hard necks that were raised on the south shore of Lake  Ontario in Oswego.  Also it a good idea to use a fertilizer that has the last two numbers much higher than the first, like 6-12-12 or 10-20-20.   The higher phosphorus and potassium will help root crops quite a bit. .

A good friend of mine lives in Lexington, KY and drove up here to get good hard-neck starter bulbs a couple of years ago. We had fun while he was here, don't get me wrong, but he came for the garlic. He does seasonings and rubs for cooking (as a sideline business) and he said that NY bulbs are some of the best. I don't know anything about it, but it was nice to hear that from someone who knows.

Best of luck to all you garlic growers out there. The stuff from the grocery stores isn't worth the shelf space they have for it. Farm markets and friends, or I do without, but I don't like cooking without good garlic. Might have to learn to fend for myself.

• Like 1

I plant a 4X8 raised bed. I have also been growing the German hardneck the last couple of years. I grow about 50 bulbs per year. I plant in mid October and harvest mid July. My garlic has good pungent flavor, a little heat, and keeps well.

I add about 2 5 gallon buckets of well rotted cow manure each year and so far have not had to use chemical fertilizer. I plant the toes about 2 inches deep and then mulch the bed with 5 or 6 inches of dead leaves, held down with chicken wire. I also cut off the scapes, usually in early June.

• Like 1

Good luck ants. If you get things going in October I know you'll be happy with your results come next year.

Philoshop,thats good info. Interesting to hear about the reputation of NYS Garlic. Most of the stuff on the shelf comes from halfway around the world (China and India.

Pygmy, You sound like an old pro, why am I not surprised. One of my buddies who raises sheep uses well rotted sheep manure. I don't seem to need a raised bed but I'm sure it doesn't hurt. One of my friends got me excited about parsnips. I'm growing Parsnips in a 4x8 raised bed this year for the first time. I've got the seedling up to about 4 inches high now, they took the better part of a month to germinate.

Thanks….I'll try it.

Ants...What did you use for seed ?

I tried garlic from the supermarket once and it did not do well.

I have bought it online from growers and currently I am using bulbs that I bought at the garlic festival at Fox Run Winery near Dresden on the west side of Seneca lake.

My crop this year good. Perhaps just a little smaller on average than last year, but most of the bulbs are 2" or larger with 5 or six large toes.

If I can find the address of the place that grew my original seed I'll PM you.

I have only been to the one at Fox Run Winery on Seneca Lake.

I didn't make it this year..It is this weekend.

Fox Run is 5 miles down the road from me. Very nice place. I forgot about the garlic fest this weekend. Have to run down and get myself some G for the venison chops tonight!

If you're ever in the area, PM me and we'll get together for a bit.

They used to do one on the lakefront in Geneva, but I haven't heard anything about this year. Lots of tasty fun.

After a quick search, it seems like they've combined the two events.

http://www.foxrunvineyards.com/events-garlicfestival.asp

Edited by philoshop

Philo, Thanks for the info on Fox Run. We have enjoyed visits to that fine vineyard. Wish I had the time to get over there for the harvest festival! You live must be near or in Geneva. I have spent a lot of time in Geneva over the last 30 years associated with my work.

Seven years ago I got my seed garlic from a small farm stand in Fabius, NY. The owner of the stand told me it came from a farm in Oswego and that it was German hard neck. From that day on I have always used my own seed garlic from each harvest to replant ever since that year and had never had to purchase and any additional seed garlic. Its been a great experience and I can only encourage other gardeners to grow garlic and do the same. I grow for the family, extended family and friends. Its been great fun.

Photo showing garlic color below.

post-725-0-88274500-1407108327_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi adkbuck, you're welcome.  To answer your questions:

1. I have been putting in a little more each year lately and this past year, we grew about 3,100 heads.  This coming fall, I am debating how much to put in still.  Will be at least 3,500 and possibly up to 5,000 if I am crazy enough at the time...  LOL

2. This was across 5 varieties, although I will condense to three next year.

3. Varieties are: German Porcelain, Music, Rosewood, Pennsylvania Dutch and a variety that my dad started growing about 30 years ago that I call Dad's Legacy.  I'm not sure the exact variety, but it's a hardneck porcelain and grows some of the biggest and nicest looking garlic year after year. 

4. As far as tips and tricks, I'm still learning, but some things I like to do:

a. I plant in October, and mulch with straw

b. I've mulched with leaves in the past and it's OK, but I like straw a lot better.

c. For spacing, I put mine in rows, with seed about 8 inches across and rows 8 inches apart.

d. I slightly hill the rows, mostly from the tiller behind the tractor, to help with extra loose soil and keep the drainage a bit better.

e. I like a decent organic content in the soil over the years and every August, I plant a "Green manure" crop of buckwheat, that get tilled in before it goes to seed.

f. I have pretty heavy clay soil here and over the years have used a good amount of gypsum to help loosen it up.

g. We dug it all up on 7/11 and 7/12, due to timing and the fact that I wouldn't have time to do so for two weeks to come afterward.  For one variety, it may have been a bit early, but no negative effects.

h. Get kids involved...  When it comes to cutting scapes, digging, trimming stems and roots, cleaning the outer papers, etc., it's all hands on deck.  It may not be the most fun they have all summer, but over time, I feel that it's all a great learning experience for them.

I. Sizes this year were pretty good, despite the cold and rain to start. A lot of variation in size, from the typical smalls, up to the largest that were 3+ inches in diameter for next year's seed.  I've heard varying stories from others growing, from a good year to a lot more challenges this year due to the weather.

I don't know that I have any secrets, but will give some more thought and reply if I think of anything else.  Lots of good things being shared here on the post, thanks.

Edited by TrapperJohn
  • Like 2

Trapper John,

1. Wow what a great post, chock full of good info. Many thanks!

2. You grow an amazing amount of garlic. Sounds like you are following in your Dad's footsteps. I am a small timer but what fun it is!

3. Could you take a look at the picture I posted showing the opened up garlic bulb. Does it look like Music to you? I have a sneaking suspicion that it is Music or a closely related variety. At the time I picked up my seed stock from the farm stand they only said it was a German hard neck variety.

4. Great idea about growing buckwheat as a green fertilizer. I think I will give it a try. I will also look into the gypsum to loosen up the soil.

5. I cure my garlic tied in bundles of ten and hang it from the rafters of a shed that has open eves and gets good circulation. I bags the cleaned bulbs into burlap sack and hang it in our cellar after it is cured. Last year I think I cured it for about 2 1/2 weeks before storing it and it has lasted until this years harvest. I would appreciate your thought on curing.

6. Thanks for so generously sharing your knowledge!

Hey guys I had this happen and it messed me up a bit...so whats up on the following...you know seed head starts you clip them off...no biggy great stir fried.....so I'm waiting and waiting ..nothing then got a bit busy and went back to find tiny seeds/cloves growing out of the green stems 2-3 inches above soil line...dug cloves and the heads were much smaller  ...but rather taste ...german red

That has never happened before...