Remington Layoffs Announced

I read today that Remington has announced it is laying off about 150 of it's workers in Ilion.  Those jobs are going to the new facility down south.

I do not place any blame on Remington for what they are doing.  The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Andrew Cuomo!  He was told this would happen long before he signed the Safe Act, and he did it anyway.  He decided to sacrifice these jobs for political reasons and the consequences of his actions are his, and only his, to bear.

NY state is showing it's citizens it's true colors here.  Consequently, pro-gun states are also showing their's and they will end up being the big winners in this anti-gun game being played out in America today.

• Like 1

There is some blame, but I agree. Mostly the gov't. Having worked in big business my whole life and having worked in the north and the south in management, I can assure you that companies like a good reason to move south. Cheaper labor, less taxes etc. Unions have a done a number on the north and so has the gov't. This is something Reminginton might have been planning anyhow and now can put a nice spin on it.

This is something Reminginton might have been planning anyhow and now can put a nice spin on it.

Yes, perhaps they were and perhaps they weren't. Possibly, maybe, could be, perhaps, might have. Well, we don't have to use those guess words with Cuomo's actions do we?

There is some blame, but I agree. Mostly the gov't. Having worked in big business my whole life and having worked in the north and the south in management, I can assure you that companies like a good reason to move south. Cheaper labor, less taxes etc. Unions have a done a number on the north and so has the gov't. This is something Reminginton might have been planning anyhow and now can put a nice spin on it.

But Chuckie Schumer promised the Remington jobs wouldn't leave.

Yes, perhaps they were and perhaps they weren't. Possibly, maybe, could be, perhaps, might have. Well, we don't have to use those guess words with Cuomo's actions do we?

But Chuckie Schumer promised the Remington jobs wouldn't leave.

a promise he has no right to make. Like I've said, I'm in senior management in big business and these things have so much legal and marketing and planning that non-remington leadership will never know the truth. I'm just saying.

Edited by Belo

a promise he has no right to make. Like I've said, I'm in senior management in big business and these things have so much legal and marketing and planning that non-remington leadership will never know the truth. I'm just saying.

Oh I know the "truth" with 100% certainty. AL is a better business environment that NY. It's business and I can't fault Remington for that.

Oh I know the "truth" with 100% certainty. AL is a better business environment that NY. It's business and I can't fault Remington for that.

Yup, just about anywhere is a better business environment that NY. Of course those that are looking for the absolute best business environment are not stopping at the country's borders. That probably is all the more reason that we should not be intimidating our last remaining businesses into picking up and bailing out. I don't suppose that Remington really had any burning need to vacate NY, but when you create a hostile environment to their products, they likely figured the time was right to just go for it.

I think the SAFE Act was the last straw. NY's awesome business climate has been driving business out for years. Now all those Senators and Congressmen who said Remington wasn't going any where can eat their hats.

and I'm with you, I don't blame Remington one bit. NY is a hostile work environment especially for a gun manufacturer. NY doesn't deserve the jobs.

Edited by Waldershrek
  • Like 1

It all boils down to the free loaders,welfare cheats and people sitting on there fat butts not willing to work for a buck also gotta have sidewalks, curbs and a town swimming pool with a life guard and nurse..That makes the Taxes go up and drive these companies out of the state.

I have friends that this state drove out because of the taxes and moved down South, Have buildings 5 times bigger then they had here and say life could not be any better then it is down here.

Yup, just about anywhere is a better business environment that NY. Of course those that are looking for the absolute best business environment are not stopping at the country's borders. That probably is all the more reason that we should not be intimidating our last remaining businesses into picking up and bailing out. I don't suppose that Remington really had any burning need to vacate NY, but when you create a hostile environment to their products, they likely figured the time was right to just go for it.

the outsourcing days are not so common. A lot of companies are rebuilding in the US. Better quality, less transportation cost, quicker actions. That being said, despite the Work NY commercials, the North in general is being avoided.

It all boils down to the free loaders,welfare cheats and people sitting on there fat butts not willing to work for a buck also gotta have sidewalks, curbs and a town swimming pool with a life guard and nurse..That makes the Taxes go up and drive these companies out of the state.

I have friends that this state drove out because of the taxes and moved down South, Have buildings 5 times bigger then they had here and say life could not be any better then it is down here.

I moved south for work. Had a fine job in NY but there just isn't any growth in management if you're in manufacturing. Today you have to be flexible to really get a head. Sad part is a lot of people cant be and it sucks you have to leave your roots if you want to take the next step

Actually it is a myth that overseas production and technology is inferior. We have spent decades actively shipping production lines along with technology and procedures, and have mastered the art of using the hunger for higher standards of living in other countries  to our benefit. Until we get to the point where we are willing to work for a couple of fish heads and a cup of rice, the tech drain out of this country will not stop.

• Like 1

Actually it is a myth that overseas production and technology is inferior. We have spent decades actively shipping production lines along with technology and procedures, and have mastered the art of using the hunger for higher standards of living in other countries  to our benefit. Until we get to the point where we are willing to work for a couple of fish heads and a cup of rice, the tech drain out of this country will not stop.

1. NAFTA.  International politician's driven.

2. "Until we get to the point..."  That would mean Americans are gutless. And, most are.  They don't study, use thinking skills, and have courage.

Change isn't going to happen in the political arena.

Now all those Senators and Congressmen who said Remington wasn't going any where can eat their hats.

If only that were true.

Those who promised Remington wouldn't leave are unaffected. Just as all the other politicians who routinely lie and promise things they can never deliver. There are no repercussions. They make promises to get what they want. Once they get their way, they ignore the promise and move on to the next fake promise.

They are worse then weathermen. At least the weather people believe what they are saying when they provide tomorrow's forecast... and occasionally the weather forecast actually comes true.