Hello fellow hunters

ryan

I always carry a "can". Which is a bleat call. Super easy to use and they do in fact work. I have turned small bucks around and brought them in on a string. My uncle swears the reason he killed his ten point is because of his bleat can. I don't use a grunt tube often but I do carry one. Was walking out of the woods last year, came out into the field and saw a good buck crossing it down at the bottom. I knew he was headed for his big scrape on the corner. I grunted to him and he literally bounded to his tree, started pissing all over and rubbing his licking branch and stepped out into the field to look up the hill at me. Pretty insane experience.

Most importantly, be safe and enjoy your time in the woods. So please wear alot of hunter orange. Dress properly so you'll be comfortable and warm. Once you're in your spot, just sit back, relax and watch the woods come to life. If you hear shooting don't get bummed out or discouraged. I shot a coyote last year on opening morning at first light and an 8 point 30 minutes later all from the same spot. The deer will be moving around all day so stay vigilant.

Will you be hunting alone?

• Like 1

im new to hunting hunt out of delaware county mainly would be hunting deer at the moment.. been hunting 10 years now but in the island different style and game

If you've been hunting in Long Island for 10 years, you're not exactly new to hunting.

Sawyer's Perminthin to pre-treat outer layer.  One treatment keeps the ticks off for about 30 days.

Had no ticks at all in the fall season, none until last day of Spring Turkey last season.  Sat down in tall grass with gloves off.  Tick crawled up arm under the sleeve.  Clothes and gloves were treated 35-40 days earlier.

I use Deet to protect neck and arms on warmer days when my skin is exposed.

Both can be found at Walmart and Amazon.

I wash my outer clothes a week or so before season and dry them without fabric softener. When season is over, they get washed again.  If hunt ended up being warmer and got sweaty, will give them a wash to get rid of the sweat smell.

I do have a scent control base-layer shirt that is also moisture wicking.

Some hunters use the scent control laundry detergent.

During part of deer season, I sometimes put out a couple of "scent Bombs".  When temps drop down to freezing or lower, they tend to freeze up.  Some hunters use them, others never do - personal choice.

I try to keep the dog away from my outer layers of hunting gear, but she just has to greet me and rub against my pant legs as soon as I get back to the house.

Avoid wearing your outer-layer until you are onsite.  This way it will not pick up scents from the house or the seats from your vehicle (salt from McDonald's fries, dripped coffee, etc).

If you have new boots start wearing them around now to break them now.  Blisters on feet in rough terrain really sucks.  Recommend wearing two pairs of socks.  One light-weight pair directly on your feet and weather/temperature appropriate pair over them (suggest wool).

I wear shoes to drive parking location and put boots on there, do the reverse to go home.  Try to keep the mud out of the house and the wife happy.

• Like 1