Coyote contest offers $2,000 for biggest take

burmjohn

Yup..

its been on for a while..

We were going to compete this year with a coyote my friend shot but it weighed in at a small 26 lbs..

The guy who won in 2009 is the same guy who won in 2010. Both years his coyote's were in the 70 pound range !!!!!!!

Two years in a row!! ..

Im happy I saves the gas , from where I am in Margaretville  its at least an hour - hour and half drive.

Next year, I will register and compete , regardless if this guy bring his 70 pounder or not !

It is real strange that in 1971 it was made "unlawful for any department or division of this state, or any political subdivision thereof to pay bounties on the taking of wildlife", (11-0531) and yet it is ok for private organizations to do essentially the same thing with big-buck contests and now coyote contests. The logic and philosophies behind some of these laws aren't really very consistant are they? I suppose it doesn't matter anyway, since the state really couldn't afford to pay bounties anyway. But I think hunters would get a whole lot more serious about coyote hunting if the state were giving out bounties. Bearing in mind that we hunters are the only real predators of coyotes, it sure would be a good thing if there was more of an incentive to shoot those critters.

Doc

Yes, I'm not sure just who the organization is in Honeoye, but I also heard a lot of flack on local forums about how terrible it is to have such contests. Actually, I kind of like it when something like that tweaks the bunny-huggers. I think it's kind of funny.

I never did hear how that contest ever came out as far as numbers of coyotes taken.

It is my understanding that the ones who do well in those contests are the ones that run hounds. Some guy out there tooting on his predator call most likely can save his entry fee and not even bother.

Doc