Crossbow setup question

Jaeger

Hi, I just recently purchased a Barnett Vengance cross bow with the reverse draw limbs, the limbs/cams mounted backwards.  And yes, I bought it because I have to be different.

My question is, the assembly looks a little off.

The cables running from the cams pass through a slot in the front of the bow, but are slightly stressed against the upper surface of the slot and not free in the center of the slot.

Also, the string that powers the bolt is about 1/4 inch above the flight track.  I'm wondering if this is correct since everything I've read says to wax the flight track and my string is not hitting it.

The store I bought it from assembled it so going back there probably won't help and Barnett customer service is almost impossible to get through to.

Should the cables be centered in the slot and should the string ride closer to the flight track?

It may be correct but it looks "off".

Any advice from experianced xbow shooters would be appreciated.

Pretty sure that's normal. I don't have a lot of experience in this department but my reverse draw is the same way.

Keep your rail greased. I've heard of some guys using Vaseline for this if they don't have rail grease on hand. The only down side is the Vaseline collects dirt and debris from what I understand, but it performs the same function.

If you watch the Vengance Xbow review, either on Barnett's website or YouTube, appears as though servings on string ride on the rails. Put a bolt on rails & measure to mid-point of nock from rails - should be same as string hgt off rails. Most Xbows I've seem, string's serving rides on rails. If you use "as-is" probably get extremely inaccurate or inconsistent shot to shot, assuming it will shoot straight. To back up some, not sure I'd even shot a bolt with string off the rails that much. Not much to assembling a Xbow, typically 2pcs bolted together. Bad molded or machined part?

Basically, it's not right & I'd return it to the store for an exchange or refund!

Should have bought a Recurve Excalibur with no cams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they shipping those with ear protection now? Excaliburs have to draw 3X the weight to achieve compound speeds, all that weight, guess that is why Excalibur has so many trigger issues?

OP if nobody has one here, check here: http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/contact-us

Edited by TheFieldArcher
  • Like 1

Never had a trigger issue or any issue for that matter with mine.

how do the deer react to the noise, I've heard the recurves are quite a bit louder than the compounds....haven't made up my mind as to which I'll purchase yet.

how do the deer react to the noise, I've heard the recurves are quite a bit louder than the compounds....haven't made up my mind as to which I'll purchase yet.

I can't speak from personal experience since I only shot once and it had no reaction whatsoever. However, tons of people kill deer with Excaliburs as well as many other brands of xbows. Just like guns or compounds, I think it's just a preference thing. I like knowing if I go on a trip across the country in the future with my Xbow and something happens to my string I can change it myself in 5 min

Never had a trigger issue or any issue for that matter with mine.

Your comment to the OP "Should have bought a Recurve Excalibur with no cams"... so, you have the loudest crossbow made, yes, Excalibur makes the loudest crossbows and compare their limb weight to speed ratio to compound crossbows and stopping all of that weight, it's gotta be loud!

Now for your Excalibur trigger... check out this thread by a Excal fan, guy has multiple Excals and all the Ecal owners chime in how disappointed they are with having to replace triggers. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2302313

Excal trigger recall: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/content/safety_notice

OP is looking for help and you bash him with "Should have bought a Recurve Excalibur with no cams"...

• Like 1

I can't speak from personal experience since I only shot once and it had no reaction whatsoever. However, tons of people kill deer with Excaliburs as well as many other brands of xbows. Just like guns or compounds, I think it's just a preference thing. I like knowing if I go on a trip across the country in the future with my Xbow and something happens to my string I can change it myself in 5 min

Wow, that is special, you can change your string... is that something only Excalibur can do? You new to crossbows? What if there was a crossbow that has 100 LB limbs and shoots 340 FPS and could change the string??? what if there was a crossbow and it also has a model with 150 LB limbs that shoots 400 FPS... both 100 & 150 models have Barnsdale limbs and is built with titanium fasteners and has the best trigger on the market...

• Like 1