Best Time of year to take a Bear

rj23nyr

Hey, this is the first season that I plan to take a bear.  Reading all these threads gave me some more questions. 

I read on one thread, a taxidermist told a guy his bear would gain up to 75lbs in the next month or so.   I want to know, what are the reasons not to wait until they have more meat on them?  Maybe some guys want to get the bear before someone else does or they don't really need the meat?  I'm curious how the meat taste would change through the season.

I'm really interested in the meat.  If the taste don't agree with me, at least my dog will eat like a king.  That's why I think I'd rather take a bear as late in the season as I could.  Thanks for your advice guys.

It isn't meat. It is basically fat reserve.

and as a rule they are what they eat for meat taste. If the bears are frequenting a dump I wouldn't eat it. Natural forage and crops make for a wonderful meat that I actually prefer over venison. The last one I got spent the summer in a corn field and it showed. mmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

when you see it you won't even want to touch it. I can imagine you could render it some how, but not for sausage use. It's kind of like warm jello that isn't set up all the way. Nothing like beef, pork or venison.

I have always cook the bear meat raised because my grandfather swore it was the grease that made it taste bad.

If your bear is on berries, grasses, nuts and crops, you have good eating.

I believe it was a Steve Rinella book that I read where he talks about rendering the fat and saving it in mason jars. He spoke very highly of bear fat and said it was one of his favorite prizes from a bear harvest. I believe it was his meat eater book, but I have to go back and take a look.

Most of the weight a bear is gaining now is fat, but that like most other animals this will affect the taste one way or the other depending on its diet. It also depends on the care of the meat and cooking styles too. To me this the biggest mistake a lot of people make when it comes to hunting. Steve Rinella from the Meat Eater as others have mentioned has excellent resources about bear, bear fat, and game care in general. Google The Meat Eater and he has videos up there and on YouTube.com. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

To the original poster, when to take a bear? When you can. Wondering about extra meat and other hunters is not worth effort or even a second thought.

Thanks.  I've come around to see this point of view. 

I stopped by a friends the other day while he was skinning a bear.  Smelled like a dumpster diver and I understand the difference in their fat now - that oily, slightly viscous consistency. 

get yourself a large raccoon and skin it out.......then picture something 10-20 times larger, that'll be what a bear will look like when you butcher it, and more than likely taste like.

It even has an eerie human look to it once you skin it out, with it's arms to side in a human like fashion.  Thus, I would NEVER eat one no matter how good some people say the meat could taste.